Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Unnecessary car repair costs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
23 replies 2.5K views
stevie_smitstevie_smit Forumite
5 Posts
Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Sorry if this issue has already been raised.
I have had problems with my Astra car key not working the usual key in ignition trick wouldn't work but i had no way of knowing if it was the key or the car so i took it to the dealer. They advised having a diagnostics at £49 so i thought ok at least if i do that i will know if i can just get a new remote or if its more serious within the car so i agreed.
Now the part im not happy about is once they gave me the results he said yes it looks like its probably the remote so i said ok but its definitely nothing to do with the car side. His reply was that he cant guarantee that as all the diagnostics report tells them is that there is a locking error.
So my question would be, what have i paid for i already knew there was a locking error i just wanted to know where from.
Would anyone know if i could claim this money back?
Thanks for any help it will be greatly appreciated

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. You paid them to do a diagnostic and thats what they did. The fact the error code just said what you already knew is besides the point.

People assume the codes are an exact science and will pinpoint the faults accurately. Thats rarely the case. Its just a starting point on which direction
    to start the real diagnostic work.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• arcon5arcon5 Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A diagnostic being an expert opinion as to what's faulty or causing a fault.
    If it was me I'd expect to leave knowing what to replace.

If you've gone in telling them there's a locking error then they've given you a report saying there's a locking fault I'd want a darn refund.

Diagnostics is more than code reading!!
  • RetrogamerRetrogamer Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd want a refund on that as well.

If you paid for them to diagnose the fault, i'd expect the outcome of the diagnostics to tell you what is causing the fault, regardless if they are using a code reader or not.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Forgotmyname i disagree. My point is that they must have known it wouldn't tell me anymore than its a locking fault they are supposed to be "experts" are they not? So why would they have advised to run diagnostics?
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use VAG-COM on my car. The software was free and I bought a cable for £17 off ebay. I just googled OBD code reader and they can be bought for less than £10. The dealers love the profit they can get from reading codes. By law every car should have a display in it so code readers would be unnecessary.
  • bod1467bod1467
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred246 wrote: »
    By law every car should have a display in it so code readers would be unnecessary.

I presume this is your opinion rather than a statement of fact?

To the OP - I concur with most of the other respondents; the garage have not performed the task with due care and expertise, and so have effectively "mis-sold" the task they have performed.
  • LandyAndyLandyAndy Forumite
    26.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bod1467 wrote: »
    I presume this is your opinion rather than a statement of fact?

To the OP - I concur with most of the other respondents; the garage have not performed the task with due care and expertise, and so have effectively "mis-sold" the task they have performed.

I think that was a wish not a statement of fact.
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found a copy of your MOT advisories...

o0qh43.jpg
  • Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    arcon5 wrote: »
    A diagnostic being an expert opinion as to what's faulty or causing a fault.
    If it was me I'd expect to leave knowing what to replace.

If you've gone in telling them there's a locking error then they've given you a report saying there's a locking fault I'd want a darn refund.

Diagnostics is more than code reading!!

Dealerships, with their tendency to employ under experienced and underpaid technicians, tend to operate what is know as a "first time fix" policy. Basically they read the codes and they replace everything on the car that could possibly cause that error.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • LiGhTfasTLiGhTfasT Forumite
    168 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    A post on an astra forum or the mk5 astra club on facebook would probably gave you more info for free. OPCOM is also very cheap and has worked very well for me. You can also do the pedal trick which shows the ecn (fault code) on the dash.
This discussion has been closed.