Car not driving straight

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
39 replies 3.2K views
124»

Replies

• colino wrote: »
    Joe, sorry to correct you, but at no point are you instructed to use a brake meter on a road test. The Tapley for example works at above 15mph and ideally below 20mph, so you would be a (expensive tech on the road) hazard driving out in the open road at giffer speeds.
    Your car only gets test driven at MOT if, a) the NT things its a nice car, or b) they are thinking of buying one. Anyone else who has a road test performed at MOT time by the NT should check their Wifes medical records. There is probably a surreptitious TUBE note there too.

Colino, sorry to correct you....
    c) Vehicle has an lsd - My M3 and M5 went out with a decelerometer.
    There are more to add to that too.
  • Richard53Richard53 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just something else to throw in the mix. My Mondeo started pulling strongly to the left after I had had it about a year (therefore 2 years old, 15k miles). The dealership advised me to put new tyres on the front before I even thought about checking the tracking. The tyres were 90% worn, so I was happy to do this. Tyres looked good, no uneven wear, pressures spot on. But after fitting a new pair the problem vanished.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • colinocolino Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Justin I'll refer you back to a), I've no idea what broom cupboards their allowing to conduct MOTs in your area, but for expensive NT time and efficiency reasons, I've never been involved in a genuine MOT when the vehicle had to go through the gates. I'm sure they enjoyed driving your cars as much as you did.
  • colino wrote: »
    Justin I'll refer you back to a), I've no idea what broom cupboards their allowing to conduct MOTs in your area, but for expensive NT time and efficiency reasons, I've never been involved in a genuine MOT when the vehicle had to go through the gates. I'm sure they enjoyed driving your cars as much as you did.

It takes 2 minutes.
    I used to do mot's, if the money was good I'd still be doing it.
    There are several vehicles that shouldn't be tested on the rollers, do you suggest they get no brake test at all?
    Or do you suggest they have their transmission/drivetrain put at risk instead of following vosa guidelines on the test?
  • colinocolino Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea of what you are getting at, every vehicle that cannot use the rollers is decelerometer tested, it only takes, as you say, a couple of minutes, and none of that time is on the public road. While the old Tapley is a lovely thing, I'd bet that a cheap smartphone would be more convincing.
  • Maybe crossed purposes here :)
    I've been to several garages where you couldn't get to 20mph on site - everywhere I've had an mot, and several others I've mot'd for.
    Some of the vehicles that can't go on rollers take some time to get to 20mph too.
  • For people who don't know, alignment is different to tracking. Tracking is just one part of alignment. I had alignment done on my car only a few weeks ago and it wasn't expensive really. I was told it was expensive by others, but I had my toe, caster and camber all checked for only £45.00. :) A company called R-Tec Auto Design in St Albans.

Hope this helps anyway guys.
    :beer:
  • oscarwardoscarward Forumite
    829 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭
    Richard53 wrote: »
    Just something else to throw in the mix. My Mondeo started pulling strongly to the left after I had had it about a year (therefore 2 years old, 15k miles). The dealership advised me to put new tyres on the front before I even thought about checking the tracking. The tyres were 90% worn, so I was happy to do this. Tyres looked good, no uneven wear, pressures spot on. But after fitting a new pair the problem vanished.

Had a Jag x type with a similar issue (similar age/mileage), turned out to be Pirelli tyres. Changed to Kumhos and problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals