Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Car accident - insurer left me stranded

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
24 replies 3K views
rachel702rachel702 Forumite
20 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Hi,

Yesterday I was in a car accident. After phoning my insurer they recovered the vehicle they advised I had to make my way home myself. I was 4 hours from home and alone in the dark and was offered no support.

It took me 5 hours and £150 to get home and when I called to complain they said it was nothing to do with them!

Can anyone advise if this is standard practice? From what I can see other insurance companies ensure you get home safely.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What breakdown company are you with?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting you home, what arrangements are in place for you and your vehicle and your passengers, is a separate item and costs extra. You need to know if you paid for a service of getting you home anywhere. If you did and you didn't get it, they're at fault; if you didn't buy any breakdown/cover to get you home, then it's up to you. They have no duty to help you. They will be expected to provide the service you paid for and no more.

This isn't something most people think about, ever need to know .... I've no idea what my arrangements are in the case of an accident.... most of us don't actually know what we've got unless we've specifically looked for/bought the right type of cover.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    24.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With my AXA policy onward travel is only available with "comprehensive plus" level of cover so yes your situation is the norm, their responsibility generally is limited to getting you to a place of safety ie off the motorway hard shoulder.
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rachel702 wrote: »
    Hi,

Yesterday I was in a car accident. After phoning my insurer they recovered the vehicle they advised I had to make my way home myself. I was 4 hours from home and alone in the dark and was offered no support.

It took me 5 hours and £150 to get home and when I called to complain they said it was nothing to do with them!

Can anyone advise if this is standard practice? From what I can see other insurance companies ensure you get home safely.

Thanks in advance.

If there is a responsible third party who is to blame then you should include the £150 in your uninsured losses claim against the third party.

Unless you are covered for "get you home" by your policy then you have no complaint - but if you do have "get you home cover" then start the complaints procedure and ask to be reimbursed and compensated for your inconvenience.
  • missilemissile Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be the same with my car insurance. "Breakdown" insurance cover does not normally include recovery for you or the car after an "accident".
  • It took me 5 hours and £150 to get home and when I called to complain they said it was nothing to do with them!

Well, it wasn't anything to do with them, unless you'd paid extra for breakdown cover. That's why we buy breakdown cover, either as an add on or a stand alone. There would be no point if ordinary car insurance covered this, would there?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • facadefacade Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Breakdown cover does not include recovery/fares resulting from an accident.

Although your breakdown company will likely recover the car for you, and may even transport you home, they will present you with a very large bill for the process.

Then you present the bill to your insurance company, who dispute it as you didn't use their preferred company......
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Nodding_DonkeyNodding_Donkey Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who's fault was the accident?
  • ohreallyohreally Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As already raised, breakdown cover is unlikely to operate in the event of an accident/collision. This isn't a breakdown.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • I think breakdown companies use their own discretion. Back in 2005, my car ended up down a steep slope. The AA kindly recovered the car, it was a difficult job as a second vehicle had to be called. They transported me and the car to my home address, and never charged. The insurance company collected the car the next day.
This discussion has been closed.