New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

It's aitch not haitch

edited 6 October 2017 at 1:02PM in Funny Money
1.1K replies 194.6K views
Former_MSE_RebeccaFormer_MSE_Rebecca
173 posts
edited 6 October 2017 at 1:02PM in Funny Money
Does it drive you up the wall when people 'literally' die laughing? Or how about those who give 110%?

:rotfl:

Check out Martin's top 10 list for word pedants

Hit "reply" to add yours!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Replies

• People who say "off of" as in "I got it off of the internet". Aaargh!
    [
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To itch used instead of to scratch.

Scratch is what you do when something itches.

Something that is itching is causing an itch. You don't itch an itch. You scratch it.

Got it?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• torbrextorbrex
    71.4K posts
    Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit! Post of the Month Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, to be honest, I'll be honest at the start of a statement - all that tells me is that the person speaking is a habitual liar and they feel the need to qualify the truth on this occasion.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Customers to shop staff 'can I get' no you cant, the staff are paid to get it for you. So please say 'can I have'
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneff wrote: »
    Customers to shop staff 'can I get' no you cant, the staff are paid to get it for you. So please say 'can I have'

....and don't forget the "please" at the end of the request!
    [
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it drive you up the wall when people 'literally' die laughing? Or how about those who give 110%? Check out Martin's top 10 list for word pedants' and let us know if you've got any to add.

You don't need the apostrophe after pedants in the above, that is a plural noun.

It was required in the original FB post because the word was being used in the possessive plural form - the word pedants' top ten.

Not that I'm being pedantic :rotfl:
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    McKneff wrote: »
    Bennifred wrote: »
    ....and don't forget the "please" at the end of the request!

I don't know whether you can have it or not. You might be allergic. Your mother might have banned you from having it. Who knows?

Surely the correct question is "May I have ... please?"

Pedants are we. :rotfl:
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • "Me and Fred are going...." Argh! Unless someone named "Me" is going with Fred, of course! :o
    [
  • It annoys me when people start or punctuate their sentence with the word "obviously". If it's so obvious, why bother telling us?
  • LV_SueLV_Sue Forumite
    273 posts
    Different than instead of different from!

If two things are different they are not the same, therefore this one is different from that one. :mad: