Pension Vs Investment

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
2 replies 713 views
daniellove1981daniellove1981 Forumite
2 Posts
Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
Hi,

I'm 33 and have a pension pot of a whopping £597.00 which I need to transfer over to my new company's Stakeholder Pension.

after speaking with various people, I'm not sure what's the best option to take. Either carry on paying my 3% into my pension or free up capital in my property to buy a new house and rent.

I have 90k outstanding on my mortgage and 20years left to pay.
70K capital to be utilised if I so wish.

Everything is a risk as I have 4 young children but, I want to ensure that when I want to retire, I have enough money to enjoy some simple pleasures.

Help????

Thanks
Daniel.

Replies

• LintonLinton Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I'm 33 and have a pension pot of a whopping £597.00 which I need to transfer over to my new company's Stakeholder Pension.

after speaking with various people, I'm not sure what's the best option to take. Either carry on paying my 3% into my pension or free up capital in my property to buy a new house and rent.

I have 90k outstanding on my mortgage and 20years left to pay.
    70K capital to be utilised if I so wish.

Everything is a risk as I have 4 young children but, I want to ensure that when I want to retire, I have enough money to enjoy some simple pleasures.

Help????

Thanks
    Daniel.

How much is your employer paying into your pension? Would he pay more if you did?

I am not clear whether the 3% is what you are paying into your employers pension or is being paid in addition into your £597 pot. If the former, and your employers contribution is small I fear you will have to learn to enjoy very simple pleasures.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Either carry on paying my 3% into my pension or free up capital in my property to buy a new house and rent

Would that 3% actually make a difference? i.e. by the time you take tax off it and possibly NI. Plus, you will not benefit from the employer contribution which is free money.

And £597 for a 30 year old indicates you are way behind. Hopefully you have other pensions as well.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals