Halifax "discouraging" ETFs?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
6 replies 818 views
kafuekafue Forumite
7 Posts
Just researching low cost funds for my SIPP (Halifax).

When I do a fund search at halifaxmarketwatch.co.uk the results pop up along with a box pre-ticked for OEICS and Unit trusts.

Eg I search for iShares and there are no results.

If I now untick those boxes and press Go, lo and behold the iShares ETFs show up!

Dishonest or what?

Replies

• kangoorakangoora Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you are saying about the search results.

My problem is I don't understand what's the difference between OEICs, Unit Trusts and ETFs and why ETFs might be hidden (or superior presumably?) ;)
  • PeacefulWatersPeacefulWaters Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dishonest or what?
    In what way?
  • Drp8713Drp8713 Forumite
    898 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ETFs usually attract share dealing charges where as OEICs and UTs usually do not so its standard practice that they are in the shares not funds section.
  • kafuekafue Forumite
    7 Posts
    Drp8713 wrote: »
    ETFs usually attract share dealing charges where as OEICs and UTs usually do not so its standard practice that they are in the shares not funds section.

Interesting! ETF = Exchange Traded Fund, so it sure looks like a fund to me. And on the web site I mentioned it is under fund search, but only if you realise that you have to take off their filter. To me that's a bit shady.

Nothing to do with the likelihood that ETFs are lower cost for the customer?
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When I do a fund search at halifaxmarketwatch.co.uk the results pop up along with a box pre-ticked for OEICS and Unit trusts.

That is because you are doing a fund search. ETFs are not funds in the conventional sense. They are direct investments (listed securities). Funds are not.
    Dishonest or what?

No. your filter was for funds. To show ETFs in funds would be dishonest.
    Interesting! ETF = Exchange Traded Fund, so it sure looks like a fund to me.

Perhaps you need to do a bit more research.
    Nothing to do with the likelihood that ETFs are lower cost for the customer?

Nothing do with you selecting the wrong filter?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals