help with cashing in my Scottish widow pension

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
2 replies 604 views
chopperadochopperado Forumite
1 Post
I retired on health grounds from London underground about 7 years ago. I had a old Scottish widow pension that I took out in late 80s its worth not a lot as a pension as it has not been paid into since 1989. I've been doing everything I've been asked for by Scottish widow letter from my GP but they ate still holding back on paying me off. Who can I complain to.

Replies

• mgdavidmgdavid Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't take any pension until age 55 - unless you have a terminal illness and/or are expected to die within 1 year. The 'new' pension rules don't come into force until April next year. You may be able to 'cash' it under existing Triviality rules - how big is this pension pot?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Who can I complain to.

You can complain to Scottish Widows. However, what basis would your complaint be?

For example, if you are not terminally ill, they cant pay it to you if you are aged under 55. Also, if you are trying to get it under April 2015 rules then you cant get it until April 2015 when those rules come in. Triviality rules only apply to over 60s. Health has to meet a certain threshold to get ill health retirement. Maybe you dont meet that?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals