Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Stop the carnage! Cats mousing constantly!

Any ideas how I can reduce the carnage?! Just moved to a large woodland garden and my two young cats are in their element, bringing shrews, mice etc to me (luckily no cat flap so not bringing them in the house too much)

I know I can't do much, but it's like the Somme out there, they are killing something like one animal an hour! That I am aware of!

I am trying to clear as many leaves as I can so the little nests may move further away from the house .... Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks for reading

Replies

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    15.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A collar with a bell on it?
  • HoplozHoploz Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    LOL I can hear them jangling from a mile off, they have bells and also ID tags so they jingle even more!

Guess I'm going to have to just accept it. The kids are getting pretty upset and want to rescue all the little (already dead) creatures!

Am keeping them in at night so at least the little darlings have some respite!
  • Once the mice population is culled a bit things might calm down a bit.
  • Wild animals all have predators.. it's the way of nature and those that survive are the strongest.
    People who blame the domestic cat for the reduced amount of wildlife in their area have no idea as to how the countryside works.
    Let your cats get on with the clean up of their area and it will settle down,promise
  • DTDfanBoyDTDfanBoy Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Hoploz wrote: »
    LOL I can hear them jangling from a mile off, they have bells and also ID tags so they jingle even more!

Guess I'm going to have to just accept it. The kids are getting pretty upset and want to rescue all the little (already dead) creatures!

Am keeping them in at night so at least the little darlings have some respite!

Well if they've already got bells fitted they're only cleaning up retarded mice, Darwinism in action I say :D
  • I agree. Let them be cats. As the weather gets cooler things should settle down. If the critters don't hear them coming then I agree with DTDfanBoy Let Darwinism work it's magic.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    15.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    when we movd in to our current property there were lod of voles in the garden.

They soon moved out due to predating dogs who ate what they caught.

Now they nest along the outside of the fence , out of reach of the dogs.
  • 2 options

Pen an area of the garden specifically for them so the cats can't get out.
    http://www.yourcat.co.uk/Outdoor-cats/how-do-i-catproof-my-garden.html

or take cats out on harness and lead (you'll have to make this a positive association first) so you can control where they are and what they catch

It is not fair to upset the woodland food web by introducing a non native species because you wanted a pet.
  • edited 30 October 2014 at 4:43PM
    caveworkcavework Forumite
    2K Posts
    edited 30 October 2014 at 4:43PM
    It is not fair to upset the woodland food web by introducing a non native species because you wanted a pet.

TBH I bet there are already cats, feral or domestic hunting in the area.
    As for being a non native species?
    A lot of the woodland wildlife are not native.
    I have 2 cats and live in the countryside.
    They hunt, but the Sparrow Hawk, buzzards and mink have taken a lot more birds than my cats have in the last 14 years.
    Mice reproduce every 21 days .. so there is not likely to be a shortage in the near future
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals