Having more than one cat if you live in a city is cruel

Faith177
Faith177 Forumite Posts: 2,927
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
Forumite
First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Forumite Posts: 3,590
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Total moron. My cats go nuts if one of them is not around.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Forumite Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2014 at 2:18PM
    So the expert wants to impose a one-cat policy...what is this, commeownist China? (sorry, couldn't resist :D)
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Forumite Posts: 2,927
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    So the expert want so impose a one-cat policy...what is this, commeownist China? (sorry, couldn't resist :D)

Don't say sorry I thought it was purrfect ;):p
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • gettingready
    gettingready Forumite Posts: 11,330
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Right one per household and what about the rest? PTS?

Idiots...

Farm cats wander further as lots of them are not neutered so they do...
  • Puttytat
    Puttytat Forumite Posts: 103
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Who says? Chairman Meow?

I'll get me coat...
  • Shoshannah
    Shoshannah Forumite Posts: 667 Forumite
    I expect Dr. Ellis is more than a bit peed off by the Daily Mail's reporting of her research - we all know how that particular newspaper likes to get a reaction, preferably an outraged one.

While she advocates care when managing a multi-cat household, I have never heard her suggest 'banning' households from having more than one cat.

For one thing, she has more than one cat herself.

I personally think more thought needs to go into multi-cat households. Some are managed successfully, but there are many that are not and the cats are the ones who suffer the stress. They are very different from dogs and humans, their social structure is different and I think a lot of the time we expect too much from them.

And the fact that the Daily Mail has highlighted her suggestion that we should let our cats jump onto mantlepieces as some kind of loathsome advice speaks volumes about what it expects of its readers, if you ask me.

I agree - we SHOULD let our cats jump on the mantlepieces. They're cats, for God's sake, not bloody ornaments or teddy bears.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Some, if not most cats like a 'multi-cat' home and thrive on the feline companionship. Other cats, like my Barnes, cannot cope and get highly stressed. I took on Barnes because he originally belonged to my son, and just couldn't cope in a multi-cat + dog + kids household.
    He adores being an 'only cat'!
    so I think its entirely up to what your cat actually likes.
  • Shoshannah
    Shoshannah Forumite Posts: 667 Forumite
    meritaten wrote: »
    Some, if not most cats like a 'multi-cat' home and thrive on the feline companionship. Other cats, like my Barnes, cannot cope and get highly stressed. I took on Barnes because he originally belonged to my son, and just couldn't cope in a multi-cat + dog + kids household.
    He adores being an 'only cat'!
    so I think its entirely up to what your cat actually likes.

I agree, but my worry is that many people don't know - they're not familiar with what to look for.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    yeah - signs of stress in a strange or new cat can be mistaken for 'character flaws'. luckily my son is an experienced cat owner, and realised that Barnes aggressive behaviour and inappropriate toileting, meant he was stressed with his home situation.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Forumite Posts: 11,330
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Shoshannah wrote: »

I agree - we SHOULD let our cats jump on the mantlepieces. They're cats, for God's sake, not bloody ornaments or teddy bears.

Do not have a single mantlepiece in my flats, my 4 boys are so clearly missing out, poor things have to do with the kitchen counter ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10011910_352691718221717_1839644970493042710_o.jpg

(and supervising my sleep, my baths, my toilet, my food etc etc...)

They are my babies in fur coats and they know it very well - they do not "cross the line" as I never drew any

They are happy, chilled out furry beings

xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family