Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

VOIP questions

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4 replies 986 views
nrishirajnrishiraj Forumite
224 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi everyone

I currently have Sky Broadband (DSL connection) via a phone line, to be honest, we don't hardly make outgoing calls, only receive.

My area does supports VM fibre optic broadband.

I am thinking of cancelling my Sky broadband service including the phone line rental and switching to VM broadband without a phone line.

As we need a land line just to receive incoming calls, can I use a VOIP service instead? What's the best service and price?

I want to maximum my savings to suit our needs.

Thanks

Replies

• edited 27 September 2014 at 12:39PM
    Inner_ZoneInner_Zone Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    edited 27 September 2014 at 12:39PM
    Been using Sipgate for over ten years now on a PAYG basis. Highly recommend them.

Don't forget you will need to get a VoIP phone and / or and ordinary phone wired or wireless and an ATA and / or a smart phone app and / or a computer VoIP program, can recommend PhonerLite
  • A.Penny.SavedA.Penny.Saved Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You can pay for an incoming number to go with your VOIP account so that you can receive calls. Be aware that emergency calls are not usually possible using most VOIP providers!

Also be aware that most VOIP providers services are not encrypted so there is a risk if you read out credit card numbers.
  • Dave_FowlerDave_Fowler Forumite
    582 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Remember also that a voip service will not operate if there's a power cut, whereas a landline system will continue to work via a standard phone.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 4 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • Graham1Graham1 Forumite
    445 Posts
    Be aware that emergency calls are not usually possible using most VOIP providers

Most U.K. VOIP provides can do 999 calls although you frequently need to acknowledge the restrictions on it (not working without power, need to tell operator your location, not testing it just to see if it works etc.)

Regarding original post, what is best depends on your call patterns. Sipgate is unbeatable for incoming geographic number. For low outgoing call costs and good call quality DID logic are good, but there are also many other companies to choose from.
This discussion has been closed.