Teeth Whitening - Your Experience

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
17 replies 2.4K views
shaz77_2shaz77_2
1.9K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
Hi All,

I've got an appointment booked with the dentist but it's not until November and I hoped to get a quote for having my teeth whitened.

I just read an article online that suggests using both "Smile Pro Direct" and "Bella at Home" for a full week for the best results.

What are your views for getting white teeth?

Thanks

Replies

• ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both are useless, probably illegal in this country and feature heavily on 'scam watch' websites!

Stick with the dentist. It is the only legal way to get your teeth properly whitened in this country.

There are several threads on these pages if you search ' tooth whitening'
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • brook2jackbrook2jack Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    smile pro direct is a scam, loads of complaints all over the net http://www.complaintslist.com/dental-services/smile-pro-direct/

and surprise,surprise bella is a sister company with the same sort of complaints http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/bella-at-home/henderson-nevada-89011/bella-at-home-this-is-a-scamdo-not-ordersister-scam-of-dental-pro-at-home-henderson-1064804

Wait until November and get your teeth whitened safely and legally.
  • I used CREST whitening strips and they were ok...not great, but ok. Then i had my teeth whitened at the dentist before i has new crowns fitted. I think the cost of the whitening was £350...i think so. That was definitely worth it. i would go with the dentist....and this is from someone who is still terrified of them. You get what you pay for.
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is illegal to sell crest strips in the UK or anywhere in Europe as they contain concentrations of hydrogen peroxide hundreds of times what is legally allowed.

Therefore anyone selling strips knows they are breaking the law so who knows what the strips actually contain, how they have been stored and are they still in date?

Dentists are legally allowed to use concentrations many times above what you can legally buy so you should be getting a better,safer and legal result.
  • Yep, i bought the Crest in America but would definitely advise going to the dentist for the treatment.
  • I use https://www.pro-teethwhitening.co.uk

My teeth are sensitive, but this has not aggravated them at all. I bought in person at a wedding trade fair (the London show in feb) and apparently it's the same stuff the dentists use (though that could be rubbish). My teeth texture is still the same though, no extra sensitivity, no pain, but much whiter. The lady I spoke to advised using this for half an hour a day for 7-10 days. It builds up over that time, so it's best to do it as consecutively as possible.

I don't know. I felt I could trust them. Works for me and is way cheaper than the dentist - also means I don't have to book time off work to get it done. The bottle I bought is good for a few years in the fridge, and touch ups. I'm in the middle of my second whitening session after 6 months (I want to go whiter and I only did it for 3 days previously) and still got tons left.
  • I paid £50 for the bottle at the show and then ordered a mail order teeth mould kit from ebay to make gum shields to use it with. £20.

So quite a saving on the £350 the dentist charges. My brother went to the dentist for his (he's not quite as MSE!) and although his teeth are white, he had pain and sensitivity from leaving formula on for 7+ hours in one session. Just doesn't sound very good for the teeth to me!
  • j.e.j.j.e.j. Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    From what I've gleaned on here, if the product is strong enough to have any noticeable whitening effect on your teeth, it's probably too strong to use yourself at home (and possibly illegal). I expect someone will be along soon to put me right if not :D
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    From what I've gleaned on here, if the product is strong enough to have any noticeable whitening effect on your teeth, it's probably too strong to use yourself at home (and possibly illegal). I expect someone will be along soon to put me right if not :D

That's pretty much it - but with a slight modification.

If you can buy it over the counter, it's going to be too mild to do anything (or illegal).

If it is prescribed for you by your/a dentist, then it will work, and many of these systems are applied by the patient at home but into properly made custom trays.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main active ingredients are carbamine peroxide (mispelt) which is illegal to sell over 0.1% and under that percentage is useless , and acid which will remove both stain and tooth enamel. If you value your health you will bin it . You shouldn't money save with your health
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides