Pharmacy refusing to dispense prescription?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
12 replies 1.9K views
ljonskiljonski Forumite
3.3K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
Speaking to a neighbour a few days ago, i find out that they upset a Pharmacy a few months ago and that now it is refusing to deliver or personally dispense her tablets.

I wonder what the legal situation of this is. Although she is now going to get them elsewhere, because of her condition she may kick off again and eventually lose all the Pharmacies in the City
"if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017

Replies

• j.e.j.j.e.j. Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    I take it she's got MH issues and her behaviour was such that the shop ended up having to refuse to serve her?

No shopworker, health-care worker or doctor for that matter is under any obligation to see someone who is abusive or violent.

If she is going to 'kick off again' I suggest she tries to get some help with this.
  • edited 25 September 2014 at 12:47PM
    ljonskiljonski Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    edited 25 September 2014 at 12:47PM
    If she is going to 'kick off again' I suggest she tries to get some help with this.
    Thats what the tablets are for!

She has obviously said something that the Pharmacy found unacceptable.
    I don't dispute their right to refuse to serve her. However if you read closely to my post, that is not the question that i am asking!

She may get a prescription but it could be worthless if no one will dispence it .
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ljonski wrote: »
    However if you read closely to my post, that is not the question that i am asking!

In your post - on careful reading - there are no question marks! Hence you aren't really asking any questions at all, just making statements. :D

So - if we guess that the question you are asking is 'What is the legal situation of this?'

Then the answer - as given by j.e.j is valid. No shopworker is under any legal obligation to serve anyone who is violent or abusive. To be asked to would breach the employer's Health and Safety obligations to the staff.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

She has obviously said something that the Pharmacy found unacceptable.
    I don't dispute their right to refuse to serve her. However if you read closely to my post, that is not the question that i am asking!

She may get a prescription but it could be worthless if no one will dispence it .
    MH or not, she is either going to have to learn not to 'kick off' in pharmacies or get somebody else to collect her prescriptions if she can not manage that.
  • ljonski wrote: »

Maybe if she took one before she went then?
  • zzzLazyDaisyzzzLazyDaisy Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wish to help her, why not offer to collect her prescriptions yourself? If you cannot do that, then encourage her to speak to her mental health worker, or her GP, or whoever looks after her mental health needs, and organise some help with getting her medication.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe her GP surgery has an arrangement whereby her prescription is collected from there, filled & delivered to her - would that work?
  • edited 25 September 2014 at 4:25PM
    ljonskiljonski Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    edited 25 September 2014 at 4:25PM
    The problem was that the pharmacy made a human mistake by not including all the tablets proscribed in the deliveryand ironically the ones to calm her down were the ones that were not there! So she went in and kicked off!

I think if it does recurr, it is best to get her to approach the subject with her GP or MH worker.

Also if she doesn't have her medication , all the genies would be released from the bottle and in the resulting windstorm anything could happen!

Thankyou
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also remember that some MH drugs are only dispensed via a specific and pre-registered pharmacist arrangement, preferably taken there and then - To ensure the patient is following their treatment plan. If they don't cooperate, they are usually refused and get referred back to the medics to see if they can find a pharmacy they will trust and work with.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem was that the pharmacy made a human mistake by not including all the tablets proscribed in the delivery

Was this actually a mistake, as sometimes pharmacies do run out of things and have a procedure for 'owing' medicine which will usually be available the next day.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals