How difficult can it be to blacklist a phone?

Options
I had an iphone 4 stolen on Saturday evening and I thought it was a simple progress of calling vodafone to get the phone barred.

However, I am going around in circles trying to get this done. The phone was originally purchased from O2 and was subsequently unlocked (by o2) so I could put a vodafone sim in it.

I called vodafone and they tell me they can't bar it because it was bought from O2. I call O2 and they tell me they can't bar it because it doesn't have an O2 sim in it. They tell me to call vodafone...... And round in circles I go.....

No one seems to want to blacklist this phone for me. My insurance company won't consider a claim unless I get confirmation that it has been barred.

Who do I need to talk to in order to get this issue sorted?

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The blacklisting will have to be done by O2 as the iPhone's IMEI will be on their database.

Not sure why they're going on about it not having an O2 sim (unless they have a very odd system). The blacklisting is performed on only the IMEI.
  • cklass
    cklass Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    Is it that you don't have the IMEI so Vodafone is referring you to O2 because only they'd be able find out what the phone's IMEI is?

I would have thought as long as you know the IMEI, any network could block it, otherwise those that buy their iPhones sim free from Apple would be stuck.

O2 shouldn't have any problems blocking it, so I'd be persistent with them.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2014 at 10:14AM
    Options
    Come on, guys....
    O2 have no means to know who is the current owner of the handset.
    Vodafone know this perfectly well as the phone has been used by the OP on their network. It's Voda who have to block it and can do this. However, it's hardly a surprise that their inept CS is giving their customer runaround yet another time.

That said, I've never understood all this blacklisting malarkey as it creates problems to many honest innocent people while not benefiting the victims of theft/loss in any way.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Grumbler is right, the network it was last used on is the one to blacklist. Who supplied the phone or even if it was sim free doesn't matter.
    ====
  • glentoran99
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Come on, guys....
    O2 have no means to new who is the current owner of the handset.
    Vodafone know this perfectly well as the phone has been used by the OP on their network. It's Voda who have to block it and can do this. However, it's hardly a surprise that their inept CS is giving their customer runaround yet another time.

That said, I've never understood all this blacklisting malarkey as it creates problems to many honest innocent people while not benefiting the victims of theft/loss in any way.

Insurance company issists so you cant just sell your phone and claim it was stolen, while it is happily being used elsewhere
  • grumbler
    edited 18 September 2014 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Insurance company issists so you cant just sell your phone and claim it was stolen, while it is happily being used elsewhere
    Well, it's not the insurance companies that rolled over this blocking malarkey. Insurers may insist on various stupid things. Yes, blocking might reduce a little the number of phones stolen, but the fact remains - neither the insurance company, nor the victim benefits from blocking.
    Why are phones so special for insurers? Laptops, tablets (wifi only), bicycles, jewelry - everything can be insured and lost/stolen, but none can be blocked.
  • footman
    Options
    I gave O2 and Vodafone the imei number. I even gave them the serial number of the phone ( I still have the box) but neither are willing to block it.

Very annoying!
  • glentoran99
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Well, it's not the insurances companies that rolled over this blocking malarkey. Insurers may insist on various stupid things. Yes, blocking might reduce a little the number of phones stolen, but the fact remains - neither the insurance company, nor the victim benefits from blocking.
    Why are phones so special for insurers? Laptops, tablets (wifi only), bicycles, jewelry - everything can be insured and lost/stolen, but none can be blocked.

Id disagree that it doesnt benefit victims, Id def be a lot happier knowing that if someone stole my phone it would be no good to them.

The risk that a phone could be blocked should surely act as a deterrant to any wannabe thief
  • grumbler
    edited 18 September 2014 at 8:20PM
    Options
    footman wrote: »
    I gave O2 and Vodafone the imei number. I even gave them the serial number of the phone
    Nobody needs the serial number.
    Any network knows all IMEIs of the phones being used on the network. That's why a phone can be IMEI-blocked.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    footman wrote: »
    I gave O2 and Vodafone the imei number. I even gave them the serial number of the phone ( I still have the box) but neither are willing to block it.

Very annoying!
    I would have thought it should be Vodafone that should block it.

Perhaps if you try an email to the database and explain the situation they may tell you who is supposed to do it.

[EMAIL="imeihelpdesk@gsma.com"]imeihelpdesk@gsma.com[/EMAIL]
    It's not just about the money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family