🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help!!! Phone contract is rubbish

Options
My phone contract with orange is up on the 17th January 2015. Not only am I paying an absolute fortune (average of £60 a month) but the service I'm getting is way below average! Signal is so poor I can barely use my phone anywhere, even less in my own home. Because my signal is so bad I can't get any use out of 3G and my phone will only connect to wi-fi if I'm right next to the box (other devises work perfectly). I contacted orange a couple of months back and they said that the power station close to me is down so they will cut my bill by half for that month for the inconvenience, however they did not follow through with this and the service is still poor.

Is there anyway I could cancel my contract early because of this problem? I don't find it very fair to pay extaustionate prices for a service I'm not even benefiting from. Thank you :)

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If it's true that the mast (not the power station) is down and that they failed to repair it for two months, then follow their formal complaints procedure and demand cancellation without charges. Complain to the ombudsman if they refuse.

That's said, I don't understand how you manage to rack up £60 bills if you "can barely use your phone anywhere".
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you told orange of the problems you are still having?
    Breast Cancer Now 100 miles October 2022 100 / 100miles
    D- Day 80km June 2024 0/80km
    Sun, Sea
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,464 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What I did ... (I had a business contract, so, it *may* be different)

Phoned up and said the signal had deteriorated recently.
    After the usual 'there isn't a problem' and 'it's not our fault' I was escalated to a higher person, or maybe just a different department who said
    "oh yes, we see that one of the masts in your area is being 'upgraded'" - yea, right, decommissioned more like!!
    "we can offer you three options"
    1. a signal boost box for the house, but there's a six week wait!
    2. Half price line rental for the remainder of your contract, but I was already 'out of contract'
    3. a PAC code

I of course, took option 3 and am now a happy customer of Three
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills