🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

FAO Vodafone company representative - PAYG abroad

Options
Hi
I am off to Greece soon and don't want to return to a surprise bill, is it OK and acceptable to buy a vodaphone PAYG sim (I have an unlocked phone), top up with £40 for a £20 Freedom freebie and have enough cedit to pay the £3 per day for PAYG Euro Traveller?

Thanks

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Look here

But it would be much cheaper to use a local SIM if your phone is not locked.
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had thought of that but nearest phone shop is half an hour away on a bus - Thanks
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Have to say that I am quite confused by the Vodafone offering. Why do you have to pay for a Freebee?
    I was under the impression that is was an allowance given for when you topped up a certain amount as I never actually ever looked at their offerings.
    So basically the UK will be paying £40 for six days of access.

You can do a lot better for 50€

Look here
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can buy Greek payg sims on Ebay and have them sent to you in the UK; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greece-Greek-Griechenland-Wind-F2G-SIM-card-0-credit-/111296289066?pt=SIM_Cards&hash=item19e9c6992a

That's just one, there a quite a few on there...
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    SandLake wrote: »
    I had thought of that but nearest phone shop is half an hour away on a bus - Thanks

Spend the 30 mins and save 30€ or more or see if you can get a SIM sent to your hotel/villa.

Vodafone

Cosmote
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not 100% on the Ebay sims but when I say soon I mean tomorrow and not enough time now.
    Decided to go ahead and get the Vodaphone sim - took the £10 'freebie' and they have now given me unlimited data while in ther UK for a month. 30 minutes in a bus was each way - in a greek bus so I probably would have to wait an hour for it - each way and then spend who know how long in the shop.
    It's not expensive and I know now how much I am going to spend in the next 2 weeks (I'm only away for 8 days) - about £30 and I have already given my number out to the few people who need it.

Thanks
  • ste_wilko
    Options
    SandLake wrote: »
    Hi
    I am off to Greece soon and don't want to return to a surprise bill, is it OK and acceptable to buy a vodaphone PAYG sim (I have an unlocked phone), top up with £40 for a £20 Freedom freebie and have enough cedit to pay the £3 per day for PAYG Euro Traveller?

Thanks

If your phone accepts a Vodafone SIM then yes it will be perfectly acceptable and OK to do this. That is what the EuroTraveller is designed for
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport