What would you do in my position?

edited 31 August 2014 at 5:42PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
13 replies 1.1K views
trinidadonetrinidadone Forumite
3.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 31 August 2014 at 5:42PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Several months back I attended a staff meeting called by my boss. I parked in a supermarket car park. The meeting lasted for 1hour and 30 minutes.

After the meeting, my boss requested I attend some nearby stores with him, which I agreed.

A few days later I received a Parking Eye PCN / Invoice for over staying in a free carpark. I presented the letter from Parking Eye to my boss, who felt bad and said he will pay half towards the ticket/invoice.

After following the advise on the Parking thread, I challenged the ticket and won.

Should I return the money back to the boss? Should I give it to charity? should I buy my boss a gift with the money? Should I sit on the money and do noithing?

what would you do?
Trinidad - The hottest place to go

My boss paid half for my PCN, I challenged the ticket and won, what should I do? 21 votes

Give back the money to the boss?
100%
peter_the_piperFruitcakeDee140157Coupon-madJames_NjonathontrinidadoneTigsteroonieharz99prosnapThe_DeepmartinthebandithoohooDollyDee_2fisherjimbaldnunnNodding_DonkeyNot_ScammedSeatroutSpidernick 21 votes
Give the money to a charity?
0%
keep the money and do noithing?
0%
Other
0%
Buy the boss a gift out of the money, and present it to him?
0%

Replies

• The_Slithy_ToveThe_Slithy_Tove Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should return the money. Anything else would be deceitful towards your boss.
  • fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course you should give it back to your boss!
  • Give back the money to the boss?
    Return their money. Not only is it the right thing to do but if you have a boss like that you want to keep them sweet.
  • Dee140157Dee140157 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would offer the boss the money back since he was out of pocket. It would be dishonest and unfair to do anything else. Our whole gripe against PPCs is the dishonesty and unfairness of the charges. We are not all against parking controls per se, we are against their behaviour and morality!

However perhaps when you hand it back, perhaps ask if he will donate 10% to a charity of your choice and you will match it. He may be happy to do so?
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any other choice, return the money to your boss.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Johno100Johno100 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give the money back and at the same time submit an expenses claim for your time and incidental costs in fighting the appeal.
  • trinidadonetrinidadone Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Give the money back and at the same time submit an expenses claim for your time and incidental costs in fighting the appeal.

I am not sure if my boss would like me to return the money in one hand, and present a claims form for probably the same amount in another, but interesting idea though!!
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Johno100Johno100 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure if my boss would like me to return the money in one hand, and present a claims form for probably the same amount in another, but interesting idea though!!

I take it is a small business and it will come out of his pocket? I was only being semi-serious BTW.
  • edited 31 August 2014 at 10:47PM
    Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 August 2014 at 10:47PM
    Return the money to your boss,
    And then tell him/her all about the scam that is the private parking industry ( as in using fake fines etc etc)
    make sure that everyone in the workplace knows about it.
    And submit a claim form to who ever it was that employed the PPC ( that will be the shop/store where you parked).
    If possible re-visit the store and speak to the manager armed with your successful POPLA appeal tell the manager that you are dissapointed that the store hasn't removed the parking company, and that the parking company are agents of the store and as a result the store could be sen to be defrauding customers and or negligence in their duty of care towards the public by allowing a predatory parking company to continue to operate as their agents on their land.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Half_way wrote: »
    Return the money to your boss,
    And then tell him/her all about the scam that is the private parking industry ( as in using fake fines etc etc)
    make sure that everyon in the workplace knows about it.
    And submit a claim form to who ever it was that employed the PPC.
    If possible re-visit the store and speak to the manager armed with your successful POPLA appeal tell the manager that you are dissapointed that the store hasn't removed the parking company, and that the parking company are agents of the store and as a result the store could be sen to be defrauding customers and or negligence in their duty of care towards the public by allowing a predatory parking company to continue to operate as their agents on their land.

OP, as above. This is what you should do.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides