Damaged rear wheel and hub gears

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
21 replies 2.1K views
rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
4.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
My bicycle has a nexus 7 speed hub gear system (which is the best thing in the world ever), but some local youths decided to try to steal it a couple of weeks ago.

They failed spectacularly as it was D locked, and at first I thought no damage had been done, but now I find that the rear wheel is severely bent and will not turn normally.

Will I need a new wheel or is it possible to bend it back into shape?
If I need a new wheel will I have to replace the entire hub (which will probably write the bike off) or is it possible to replace the wheel and keep the original hub?

Replies

• custardycustardy Forumite
    38K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    good bike shop can repair the wheel.
    If the hub is fine at most its a new rim/spokes & rebuild
    If its mildly out of shape it could just be a case of getting it trued up.
  • rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cool. I ask as my usual bike mechanic is very busy at present and I wondered if I could fix it myself. Hoping its the latter, its not visibly bent, just clearly is when you start to push it round.

Also means I'm having to drive to work atm which costs money!
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of vids on Youtube on adjusting a wheel yourself.
    Have a look and see how you feel about it
  • Richard53Richard53 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a good look at the hub. If it is undamaged (e.g. spoke holes aren't pulled out of round) then as others have said it's an easy matter to have a new rim built onto it. If it's more than half an inch or so out of true, I wouldn't advise truing it yourself unless you have a proper wheel stand and a lot of patience, as it's VERY easy to make it worse rather than better, and spend hours swearing at it as it gets further and further out of true.

Don't ask me how I know, etc etc, but I will say that I have rebuilt several motorcycle wheels successfully, but always had to call in a pro for bicycle wheels that required more than a minor tweak.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Get yourself a copy of the 'Bicycle wheel' from the library. The book is often revered as the Wheel Builder's Bible.
  • Weird_NevWeird_Nev Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Minor bends, you can adjust out yourself with a spoke key and the book above. That's if the out-of-trueness is just down to the spokes having been bent/de-tensioned by rough handling. Well worth having a go yourself, it's a useful skill to learn but it's a bit of an art.

If the rim itself has been bent, you can just have the wheel re-built with a new rim - £20ish for a basic rim, plus spokes and labour (it's a relatively time consuming job).
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, better late than never I have been quoted £155 to rebuild the wheel and service the bike, which is a lot for a secondhand bike (albeit an excellent secondhand bike). Heard good things about the shop but not had work done there before. They said normally they'd simply replace the wheel but not so easy or cheap with hub gears so needs a rebuild.

I am tempted to stick it on ebay spares/repairs and buy a new secondhand one for a similar amount. Any thoughts? I simply will not buy anything other than a bike with hub gears, having lived with it for 3 years or so it is SO much better than derallieur for my usage (largely flat urban riding). Already seen one on ebay with an 8 speed alfine for very little.

Does this sound reasonable? Or should I stick to what I have?
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm also thinking about a folding bike. My commute is only about 3 miles so not worth spending loads on some fast racer, and would be nice to be able to store in a corner of my flat, leave in the boot of the car 'just in case' etc etc. Decathlon have one at £250 that looks ok...
  • liz545liz545 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    It's hard to say without seeing the bike - a lot of bike shops just don't have the experience with hub gears any more. Personally, I'd get a second opinion - ask them if it's possible to true the wheel, as it may just have a slight buckle. If they say the wheel's buckled beyond repair, but the rest of the bike's in good working order, why not just buy a new wheel? It needn't be expensive - this would fit the bill.
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • edited 28 October 2014 at 10:56AM
    Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 October 2014 at 10:56AM
    As you have a usual bike mechanic ask if he can repair the wheel if you are willing to wait.

If you visit Decathlon take the wheel and ask for a quote. It may be repairable.
    I'm not a cat.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals