Getting cables moved

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
1 reply 613 views
Cchrish0Cchrish0 Forumite
1 Post
Wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I currently have an overhead electric cable running across my property. It feeds two of my neighbours property's but not mine. I am wanting to build an extension on the side of my house which this cable will interfere with. The cable does run to a pole first which is in my neigbours garden. I am wondering who is responsible for moving the cable, me my neigbour or the power supplier. I don't want my neigbours to have to pay for this as would not be a good neibourly thing to do. I am going to ring the electric supplier in morning but would like to be armed with a little knowledge first as from past experience there immediate response is always you will have to pay. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks chris


  • spirospiro Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    No point phoning your supplier, you need to contact the distribution company. The contact details will be on you bill. Depending on what historic agreements are in place it could be very expensive to get the cable rerouted because it sounds like an extra pole would be required to stop the cable crossing your lane.
    IT Consultant in the utilities industry specialising in the retail electricity market.

    4 Credit Card and 1 Loan PPI claims settled for £26k, 1 rejected (Opus).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals