ridiculous prices of razor blades

Options
Went to buy some new razor blades yesterday and I can't justify the cost anymore.

Tesco wanted over £15 for 8 Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Razor blades. It's not that I can't afford £15 but the price is getting ridiculous.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267303786

So I have gone back to disposables. Picked up 5x Gillette mach3 for £5.

Somebody somewhere is taking the p155 with these prices.

£5-

photo_zps0037f7b6.jpg

Comments

• phillo365
    Options
    You are right price is crazy but I try and buy when on some form of offer or I have a coupon for money off a conditional spend ie £6 off £60. I do however find these blades last and I can get up to a months use out of 1 blade making the price per shave not so bad.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're forgetting that modern razor blades also cook your breakfast and make you coffee while you're shaving
  • 2gorgeousgirls
    Options
    My husband likes the fusion power blades. I can't believe the price.

I'm encouraging him to grow a beard!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 August 2014 at 1:25PM
    Options
    I think men are actually lucky on this one- take a look at the price of female razor blades! I switched to using men't razors as a direct result- I'd love a razor that feels a little more aimed at me than a weighted metalized men's version but at the costs around everywhere for a decent women's razor it just isn't worth it.

I had seen quite recently a large box of refills for men's Gillette razors (they had three types) and the boxes contained somewhere around 15-20 or so refills, possibly more, for around the cost £25. It was billed as being a mega discount.
    Womens razor refill packs however rarely offer more than one or two refills with the razor and that costs upwards of £7 and some around double that. Refill packs of around 3 cost around £10-£15 whenever I've seen them.

Does make me wonder. I am wondering if I just stopped shaving for a few weeks if I'd have the money to buy a brilliantly expensive electric razor, professional waxing for a few months in a beauty salon or whatever else because as it goes shaving seems to be the most expensive option, sadly I haven't got the guts to do this, it would scare me to think how much money I spend on shaving!
  • Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Living Social recently did an offer for Gillette Mach 3 turbo blades, maybe have a look?
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I truly think that if razors have any more blades in them you'd need a shopping trolley to carry them home! Happy to buy ladies Bic-type disposables with one blade, 8 in a pack from the £ shop.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just used my 5 for £5 Gillette disposables and must say very satisfied with the result. That me done with expensive blades for good.
  • thrifty79
    thrifty79 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2014 at 1:40PM
    Options
    We've long given up expensive razors - I think to myself how would people have managed centuries ago, and they would have been very careful with a blade and thankful for whatever they had! So I take my time and shave carefully with cheap razors, as it's still a blade, and use shaving soap and moisturise.. and it's fine! Just take ur time!

Here are some bargains I found recently 29p for 5 in assorted football team colours from Sports Direct, originally £2.99. Added a few packs in different team colours (they're all the same but wanted a variety!) onto a order for other clearance items.

sportsdirect.com/team-twin-razor-pack-849034?colcode=84903401

Cant post links

Just noticed the Newcastle United ones are 59p and the Man City and Man Utd are 29p..obviously a Geordie fan setting these prices! Best stick to Manchester then!
  • biglugs
    biglugs Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You think they're expensive here? Try buying them in Denmark!
    You don't get medals for sitting in the trenches.
  • chazzie83
    Options
    I just buy disposables works out a lot cheaper as i'm in the forces i have to shave whenever i'm on duty, ASDA usually has cheap ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure