Lost ticket help

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
8 replies 1.6K views
The_GOAT_2The_GOAT_2 Forumite
9 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
I travel twice a week on long distance journeys with East Coast trains. Currently I am averaging £455 a month.

A week on Monday I realised my girlfriend had taken my wallet to work. I rushed off to collect it and then to the train station convinced I would not make it.

I managed to arrive on time, printed my tickets at the Fast Ticket machine at 08:03 and the train left at 08:05. As I was collecting my tickets, I dropped my wallet and my coins fell out. In a fluster I ran through the gates (which were open for some reason) and onto the carriage.

As soon as I boarded the carriage (in the doorway) I did a final ticket check and noticed I had only 2 of the 3 printed parts of my ticket. I had somehow mis-placed my ticket within 20 meters of platform.

I immediately sought out the guard and explained what had happened. I said I had my seat reservation print out, the receipt, the e-mail confirmation, and my card that I paid with.

Dismissively he said "Fine, I'll come and see you - where are you sat?"

I told him (the honest seat number) and he walked past without saying anything.

At a station further down the line, the staff changed, and then later on I was approached by two guards who confronted me with "Do you not have a ticket?". Again, I explained the situation and attempted to show my proof of purchase etc.

Again, this was dismissed with "Someone could have picked your ticket up and used it." I pointed out that it was an advance ticket, that it was printed at 08:03, and the train left at 08:05 - what are the chances of someone finding my ticket on the floor in that time and using the train.

"Ah well, there are ways round that." He didn't elaborate further. He demanded that I pay for a new ticket, which I was unable/prepared to do - however my brother was sat next to me and paid for the ticket rather than face 'public shaming' or whatever.

Long story short, I paid £52.50 for my advance ticket and my brother paid £101 for the second ticket, (£153.50 for one journey)

Later on the journey a third guard was dealing with a passenger and I enquired if he had a ticketing error also. She said he didn't have one at all, however, she accepted his reasoning. When I re-told my story she seemed surprised and said I should complain to get a refund as she couldn't refund tickets herself.

E-mailing East Coast led to them replying "Clearly you have paid for two tickets so as a gesture we will refund £54.45".

I queried why £54.45 when the original ticket was £52.50 and stated that a true gesture of goodwill would be to return the £101.

Each ticket has a QR Code so they should be able to track whether or not a ticket has been used, which they were not willing to do.

My question is:

Granted I lost one part of the ticket, however I had all the other information and proof so do I have any recourse? They have accepted that I bought two tickets as I sent photos of all tickets involved and of my advance ticket payment, yet only offered to repay 1/3rd of the price.

I pay them approximately £5460 a year and yet I've been rewarded for my honesty by being wacked with triple the price.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies

• wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humbly accept their offer of £54.45.

As they say, it is a goodwill gesture.
    They could easily withdraw that offer and not offer anything.

Unfortunately it is the passenger's responsibility to travel with the correct ticket, but you don't need me to tell you that.

You could try seeking advice here:
  • Yup, you're Jeffed.

Regardless of the reasoning, you were on a train without a valid ticket.

East Coast are notoriously mercenary about their tickets, and you've gotten off lightly.

As for the other guard dealing with a similar situation differently - to be honest, it's the luck of the draw. Tough for you, I guess. Learn your lesson - life sucks, bad things happen.
  • *Unfortunately it is the passenger's responsibility to travel with the correct ticket, but you don't need me to tell you that.*

True; however I wil still be seeking other avenues. You can't just 'make up' which rules are to be adhered to and which one are not. I'll keep fighting it and make noise until I am reimbursed £101. The Guardian seem pretty good at highlighting nefarious train companies.

Edit*
    They also recinded their offer of £54.45 and changed it to £52.50.

All tickets have QR codes. I know they can check to see if the ticket was authorised or not. I just have to prove it.

#onamissionfromGod
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Th Grauniad are just going to tell you what you've been told on here, that it's a lost cause. You didn't have the correct ticket with you, so what you think you can prove is irrelevant. Take the £52.50 and next time get yourself better organised,
  • Indie_KidIndie_Kid Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    For all they know, you could have given the lost ticket to someone else.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_GOAT wrote: »
    Each ticket has a QR Code so they should be able to track whether or not a ticket has been used, which they were not willing to do.

Possibly unable. Why should such data be retained, assuming it's recorded (as opposed to just being checked) in the first place?
  • yorkie2yorkie2 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The_GOAT wrote: »
    All tickets have QR codes. I know they can check to see if the ticket was authorised or not. I just have to prove it.
    They are not QR codes, they are not printed on all tickets, and they are never checked or "authorised".

If you want insurance for losing something, get insurance.
  • All's well and persistance paid off as I received the full amount back.

I'm sure ML would be proud.

Fight the good fight, people. Don't let the naysayers deter you!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals