New Merc Black Cabs ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
3 replies 559 views
EycplUKEycplUK Forumite
777 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
Just wondered if anyone had used the new Merc Vito Black Cabs in London ? will be using one when in London with our Powerchair !
all comments gratefully received :)
Regards
A Bast**d I May Be ! I Was Born One !
Whats Your Excuse ?

Replies

• unsureunsure Forumite
    758 Posts
    We've used them a couple of times, and the standard black cabs many times with my elderly disabled mother in a "comfort" wheelchair. To be honest I was a little disappointed that although the Vito looks much bigger there doesn't appear to be much more interior space.
    Regardless of the vehicle, I think the biggest factor is the helpfulness of the driver. Some are great, careful, thoughtful and good at handling chairs but others can't be bothered to raise seats, anchor chairs and even struggle to manoeuvre although they are all supposed to have training. The last one we had (Vito) was worried about the wheelchair damaging the leather upholstery of his new cab! he got quite miffed when I suggested he raised the seat to get more manoeuvring space but eventually came round.

If booking over the phone ask for a wheelchair-experienced driver and make your needs very clear...that will probably discourage those who can't be bothered and leave you with those who can and who know what they are doing.
    Just because somebody is certain doesn't mean they are right!
  • EycplUKEycplUK Forumite
    777 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising ! did you pre-book or was it from a rank ? or even a hail in the street ? the Vito seems to attract some varying degrees of opinions amongst Black Cab drivers according to the forums on this subject we have read which is why we asked on here for personal views !
    One last question , for now :) , are all the Vito Black Cabs driven by"knowledge" drivers ?
    Regards
    A Bast**d I May Be ! I Was Born One !
    Whats Your Excuse ?
  • unsureunsure Forumite
    758 Posts
    We booked through Computer Cab who take bookings for the London Borough's taxi scheme for the disabled.
    If it's an actual black cab they will have done the knowledge. I don't know if there are minicab (unlicensed) drivers using vitos. Actually the best vehicle and drive my Mum's had was in a minicab which was an adapted small van type vehicle. The wheelchair just pushed straight up into the back without any need for manoeuvring and was then held firmly in place while other passengers sat just in front in the rear seats.
    Just because somebody is certain doesn't mean they are right!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals