PayPal Dispute

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
6 replies 952 views
Irn-Bru-KidIrn-Bru-Kid Forumite
614 Posts
My mother-in-law sold a pram a couple of days ago. She accepted PayPal for a collection item (I know, I know) and the buyer has now opened a dispute.

No previous contact, just an email from PayPal 'Your Dispute Has Been Escalated To A Claim - Case PP-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx

Firstly, they weren't aware there was a dispute, but that's not important.

So, I look into the claim for them and the buyer has left the following comment 'externally damaged'. It was described correctly and all faults were mentioned.

Anyhoo, am I right in thinking that there is no cover for items that are collected in person, inspected and taken away? Even when paid with PayPal?

I have spoken to PayPal on their behalf, provided all additional info and pointed them towards their own policy with regards to collection items.

Just looking for some reassurance for them really.

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    PayPal covers SNAD claims regardless of whether item collected or posted although some sellers have reported being able to win a PayPal claim in this instance.

I suspect if buyer has opened a PayPal case rather than an eBay one they know they have a better chance of winning with PayPal as opposed to an eBay case.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Ms_ChocaholicMs_Chocaholic Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly the buyer has, by his comments, accepted he has the goods. Will he need to return by a tracked method to enable him to get a refund.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly the buyer has, by his comments, accepted he has the goods. Will he need to return by a tracked method to enable him to get a refund.

Tracking is necessary to protect a buyer against either loss en route or a dodgy seller . Since the former does not apply I would hesitate to suggest tracking would needed to protect against a false claim by OP 's MIL that item has not been returned .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Irn-Bru-KidIrn-Bru-Kid Forumite
    614 Posts
    According to the T&C's

7.3 Ineligible Items. PayPal Buyer Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods. Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Buyer Protection:

9. Items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf

I have pointed PayPal to the above.
  • jonty03jonty03 Forumite
    692 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Soolin, I've pm'd you :sad:

• Irn-Bru-KidIrn-Bru-Kid Forumite
    614 Posts
    We won the dispute. PayPal decided that the item was as described and have found in our favour.

Now to deal with the barrage of abusive messages from the buyer. Two in the past 45 minutes!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides