Tax credit query , cant get through on the phone

Options
Hi

I have tried getting through to the tax credits office, on many occasions, and at varying times of the day, and will try again but just wondered if anyone could advise...

My wife and I are on the claim, my wife is a stay at home mum, 2 under 5`s, just my income to declare

Had the renewal through , was looking forward to renewing online , but I noticed that where my wife’s name is , it says “claimed the childcare element of working tax credit based on the fact that you were incapacitated , or an inpatient at a hospital , in prison or entitled to carers allowance

What does this mean, we have never told them any of those things, typically I can’t find last years renewal but I would certainly have noticed if it had said that!

Our award gets smaller every year so I cant imagine we will end up owing them money, would we? (I earn £27k before tax)

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Horseunderwater
    Options
    Is this your 2nd year of TC's? Was your wife working at all during last year - this info may have been on previous awards too.
    Best time to ring is 3pm or 7.45am in morning. I would ask for a copy off all award letters, so that you can check them.
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    Is this your 2nd year of TC's? Was your wife working at all during last year - this info may have been on previous awards too.
    Best time to ring is 3pm or 7.45am in morning. I would ask for a copy off all award letters, so that you can check them.

Hi

Thanks for your post , i will try again at 3pm!

Our eldest is just 5 , so been receiving tax credits for a few years now ? , my wife didnt work at all in 2013/2014
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a read of this.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/wtc2.pdf

It explains the childcare element of working tax credit.

Page 14 onwards.
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    Is there any mention of childcare costs on your renewal or awards notices?

Hi

Yes ,

"YOUR CHILD CARE COSTS"

You had no qualifiying childcare costs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business