EBay item faulty

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
4 replies 742 views
gd47gd47 Forumite
6 Posts
Hi,
Really don't know what to do about this problem...
Bought a second-hand TV soundbar two weeks ago (it was actually delivered on 19th June).
It worked perfectly for just over a week, but today it just went dead whilst using it.
Checked the power supply to it, which is fine, so it's definitely a more serious internal fault.
It was bought from a private seller and was boxed (which I have since recycled!) along with the cables and instruction manual and was not particularly cheap.
Any ideas as to what to do next would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,
George.

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contact the seller and see what they say. Send it back for a refund?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• George_MichaelGeorge_Michael Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Contact the seller and see what they say. Send it back for a refund?

"Send it back for a refund"
    Why?

In my opinion, this is one of the biggest problem for private sellers on ebay.
    Provided it was as described when delivered, why should the seller be held liable for faults that occur after this time?
    Goods sold privately do not come with a guarantee, nor do they have to be durable.
    If someone wants or expects something to be as good as new and with the benefits of a guarantee, then they should buy a new item.

Paypal user agreement.
    PayPal Buyer Protection is neither a product warranty nor a service warranty. No guarantees are given.

I know that Paypal will refund the buyer, but this doesn't make it morally right.
  • Irn-Bru-KidIrn-Bru-Kid Forumite
    614 Posts
    "Send it back for a refund"
    Why?

In my opinion, this is one of the biggest problem for private sellers on ebay.
    Provided it was as described when delivered, why should the seller be held liable for faults that occur after this time?
    Goods sold privately do not come with a guarantee, nor do they have to be durable.
    If someone wants or expects something to be as good as new and with the benefits of a guarantee, then they should buy a new item.

Paypal user agreement.

I know that Paypal will refund the buyer, but this doesn't make it morally right.

Morals and eBay?
  • mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have to decide what you want to do. Either you accept you took a risk buying an electrical item and take the loss. Or contact the buyer and open a case if necessary and return to them a broken and worthless item and get a full refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals