NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

To close or not to close......that's the question!

I have been slow stoozing on Morgan Stanley's cashback card for a year or so and acquired the M&S &more card back in January to carry out the traveller's cheque stooz - which is successfully held in a cash ISA (NS&I).

I recently acquired the Halifax One card and am slow stoozing on this, so I will be using this to make all my purchases on.

Would it be a good move to close the Morgan Stanley card or keep it open? Also, I noticed the bills appear to be coming from Morgan Stanley but named as Goldfish!

One more thing i've noticed is on my latest statement their is a Annual Feed Charged or £20. What is this? I wasn't aware their is a charge.

Thanks,

Replies

• nohnoh Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Close the card.
    See this thread regarding the £20 fee:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=420530
    sometime last year Morgan Stanley bought Goldfish. Now all their cards are issued by Goldfish.

Nigel
  • mattih5mattih5 Forumite
    204 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    noh wrote: »
    Close the card.
    See this thread regarding the £20 fee:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=420530
    sometime last year Morgan Stanley bought Goldfish. Now all their cards are issued by Goldfish.

Nigel

What are the reasons for closing the card?
    204 Posts
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    They are going to charge you for it. What reason do you have for keeping it open?

Lol....obviously, derr to me. I was thinking in general terms, is it a good idea to keep a card active/open if your not planning on using it OR is it wise to close it and thus have your credit rating better?
  • wayoflifewayoflife Forumite
    281 Posts
    mattih5 wrote: »
    and acquired the M&S &more card back in January to carry out the traveller's cheque stooz - which is successfully held in a cash ISA (NS&I).
    Thanks,

Please can you let me know more about this travellers cheques stooz...

is this the one that you purchase through Quidco? If this is the case I thought they dont pay cashback on travellers cheques anymore?

Please help asap!
    INCREASE INTEREST ON SAVINGS!

...I will thank you if youve been helpful, please do the same! :j
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    wayoflife wrote: »
    Please can you let me know more about this travellers cheques stooz...
    http://www.stoozing.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1159043738
    is this the one that you purchase through Quidco? If this is the case I thought they dont pay cashback on travellers cheques anymore?
    No, and did they ever?
    Please help asap!
    It's not as appealing now that it's 6 months...many of us got a 12 month BT last year for an effective 1% BT fee. On top, we were able to 'spend' the minimum payments each month due to the 0% on 'ordinary' purchases.

Just make sure you have identified (read the whole thread above) a way to cash them (for free) before purchasing them.

Finally, since the existing M&S offer (to Jan 2008) will be only be 5 months come August, and they're rumoured to be introducing a reduced minimum payment, I'd probably wait to see if they launch a new deal in the next 2-3 weeks. Just my opinion though.
    204 Posts
    http://www.stoozing.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1159043738No, and did they ever?It's not as appealing now that it's 6 months...many of us got a 12 month BT last year for an effective 1% BT fee. On top, we were able to 'spend' the minimum payments each month due to the 0% on 'ordinary' purchases.

Just make sure you have identified (read the whole thread above) a way to cash them (for free) before purchasing them.

Finally, since the existing M&S offer (to Jan 2008) will be only be 5 months come August, and they're rumoured to be introducing a reduced minimum payment, I'd probably wait to see if they launch a new deal in the next 2-3 weeks. Just my opinion though.

If I took out my card in January this year, will I be safe in that I still have until January next year to pay back my stooz pot? Have they changed their T&C's which affect me?
  • j_dlawj_dlaw Forumite
    375 Posts
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    They are going to charge you for it. What reason do you have for keeping it open?

Ive just noticed read this post about a £20 charge and have also received the letter about the card transferring to Goldfish. I have a Morgan Stanley card I now want to close. Who do I contact to do this? Does anyone have a number for customer services at Goldfish, or can I use the old Morgan Stanley number?
    204 Posts
    j_dlaw wrote: »
    Ive just noticed read this post about a £20 charge and have also received the letter about the card transferring to Goldfish. I have a Morgan Stanley card I now want to close. Who do I contact to do this? Does anyone have a number for customer services at Goldfish, or can I use the old Morgan Stanley number?

I would imagine you can contact Morgan Stanley to close it. I am going to do mine tomorrow. What happens with the remaining cash back I have accrued? I have £16 remaining, I took £60 not long back.
  • MrsMillarMrsMillar Forumite
    100 Posts
    "What happens with the remaining cash back I have accrued? I have £16 remaining,"

You'll be able to claim £15 - Morgan Stanley will keep the rest.

BTW - the old Morgan Stanley customer sevices no. still works, but when they answer they will say "Goldfish".
  • johnllewjohnllew Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    I never close a credit card account if I can help it. It's the repeats that enable Mrs JL and myself to keep over £70k up in the air currently. And you never know who you're going to get the next repeat offer from.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum