Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Diverting Excess PV Generation to a Combi Boiler System

I've been Googling away and it seems that it is possible to add a hot water tank with an immersion heater to an existing hot water system powered by a combi boiler, possibly by waving a magic wand.

Has anyone here had experience of this (maybe not the magic wand part) and do they think it worthwhile?
Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
:coffee:

Replies

• nigelpmnigelpm Forumite
    433 Posts
    No experience but I can't imagine it will be financially sensible given that :

1) Current immersion heater controllers are barely worthwhile from a Return on Investment perspective

2) On introduction of smart meters you'll lose the benefit anyway
  • nigelpm wrote: »
    ...I can't imagine it will be financially sensible...
    I was tending to this conclusion but I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise, given appropriate evidence.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    29K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    nigelpm wrote: »
    No experience but I can't imagine it will be financially sensible given that :

1) Current immersion heater controllers are barely worthwhile from a Return on Investment perspective

2) On introduction of smart meters you'll lose the benefit anyway

Are smart meters to be compulsory for those in receipt of FIT?
  • nigelpmnigelpm Forumite
    433 Posts
    Cardew wrote: »

No. I'm talking about the gradual roll out of them and this will impact on any cost:benefit analysis you want to run.
  • tunneltunnel Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »

I'd think most people in receipt of FiTs would welcome smart meters, give them chance to collect a bigger payday on the deemed 50% export. The only ones who wouldn't would be those who have diverting switches.
    As for ASG or the likes customers...it'd be interesting to know if there's a clause in their contracts binding them to have a smart meter if instructed.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
  • Kernel_SandersKernel_Sanders Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Forumite
    I've just spotted this thread title and thought how appropriate the OP's name was! :)
    tunnel wrote: »
    I'd think most people in receipt of FiTs would welcome smart meters, give them chance to collect a bigger payday on the deemed 50% export.
    Assuming we are talking about domestic smart meters, why would more export mean higher payments ?
  • tunneltunnel Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi KS,
    I'd assumed that an industry standard domestic smart meter would be able to measure and log export, whether that can be used to increase FiT payments for those in receipt of it i don't really know.

Would you expect a FiT payer to reduce the payment if it was shown via a smart meter that the electric user was using the spare generation to heat the immersion and thus not exporting the deemed 50%, they can't have it one way and not the other can they?
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've just spotted this thread title and thought how appropriate the OP's name was! :)

Assuming we are talking about domestic smart meters, why would more export mean higher payments ?

In my case, I'm out at work during the day, so I get to use very little of the electricity I generate. At the moment, it's just assumed that I use 50% and export 50%. I rather suspect the amount I export is rather higher than that.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • edited 9 June 2014 at 10:15AM
    ChopperSTChopperST Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 June 2014 at 10:15AM
    We live in a new build property (2013) and we have a smart meter (Landis+Gyr E470) but are still on deemed export, I did query this with our installer and NPower who pay our fit prior to having an ImmersunII installed and they have no plans to change this at the current time - this would suggest that the equation favours the company that pays the microgeneration tariffs rather than the other way round and it is not in their interest to go onto metered export.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    29K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    It is quite clear that some people export more than the 50% assumed export and thus a smart meter giving the actual exported figure will be an advantage

Whilst others - particularly those with an Immersun or similar - will not want a smart meter.

As I understand it, it is not planned to make smart meters compulsory for households; however there is surely a case to make them compulsory for those claiming FIT.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals