Would you resort to DIY Dentistry?

ManofLeisure_2
ManofLeisure_2 Posts: 528 Forumite
edited 30 May 2014 at 10:51AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Would you resort to DIY dentistry? 20% of people say they would pull their own teeth out because they can't afford a dentist.

(From a survey of more than 2,000 people by the British Dental Health Foundation)

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    'Can't afford' is often a get out answer when people really mean 'too scared'.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    'Can't afford' is often a get out answer when people really mean 'too scared'.

I think that's a really good point Toothsmith.

I wouldn't mess about with my own teeth - but have a friend who does. She actually 'fills' her own teeth. This isn't because of money problems - a visit to the dentist terrifies her (by her own admission).

I've seen a couple of YouTube clips where people burst their own dental abscesses etc - the mind boggles .
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My brother is a dentist. He had a chap turn up one day requesting an extraction, and as the gentleman didn't want any metal implements in his mouth he'd helpfully brought along his own bit of string. Would that count as DIY?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    My brother is a dentist. He had a chap turn up one day requesting an extraction, and as the gentleman didn't want any metal implements in his mouth he'd helpfully brought along his own bit of string. Would that count as DIY?

Found that really funny :rotfl:
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,989
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    BucksLady wrote: »
    I think that's a really good point Toothsmith.

I wouldn't mess about with my own teeth - but have a friend who does. She actually 'fills' her own teeth. This isn't because of money problems - a visit to the dentist terrifies her (by her own admission).

I've seen a couple of YouTube clips where people burst their own dental abscesses etc - the mind boggles .

Problem is, bursting an abscess doesnt fix it. It will keep coming back until the cause of it is addressed.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Unfortunately I have seen many people attempt diy dentistry. Crowns stuck in with superglue,fillings from kits purchased on the internet, trying to take teeth out with mole grips leaving the tooth still in but serrations in the bone and gum , all with no anaesthetic other than alcohol.

In every case it has not been economics but sheer terror, ironic when the amount of pain and damage they've done to themselves is by several factors worse than anything a dentist would do. Trying to take a tooth out, unless it is already loose , is a skilled job that needs an anaesthetic.

The folks I've seen who've attempted diy extractions have left themselves in terrible pain and an even worse mess.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My granny used to pull teeth for people in the area. It was of course in the days before the NHS, and ordinary working class people could not afford to go to a dentist.
  • Thanks to all who have replied - really interesting.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would attempt any kind of work on their own teeth. However, not everyone obviously feels the same.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My gran used to do her own dentistry. She was absolutely terrified of the dentist and used to pull her own teeth out using the string and door method. It was very sad really, as the last few years of her life were made so much more miserable because of her dental problems - she struggled to eat, for example, because her few remaining teeth were in such a mess and she wouldn't go and get her dentures sorted out. I'm not exactly fond of the dentist but the one thing that gets me through the door is remembering just how much my gran suffered with her teeth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure