Inheritance Abroad - Bank accounts and cash for non-residents

Not sure if this is the right place for this.

A while back this month I asked about Spanish Usufructo laws. The situation continues and I was wanting to know if anyone knew the answer to the following questions -

Are they legally allowed when selling a property to give to a non-resident (UK buyer) cash rather than a cheque or Bank Transfer? According to my stepmother's notary they can't but considering that he thought that I could use my expired Spanish ID card number (I am not a Spanish citizen, nor can I have dual citizenship) for the paperwork rather than sort out an NIE number.

I am going over next week for a day to go to the police station and start the paperwork for this.

I have as yet not been given the Notary's contact/phone number and my stepmother's relatives don't seem to be able to ask the relevant questions or are afraid to ask him.

Today I was thrown some fees out of the blue. I was initially told all I'd have to pay is 3% of what I was given. But now they're asking me to go halves with the Certificado Energetico (came into force last year) as well as to contribute to the 'Escrito' Fee. I have frankly told (but I think I need to re-iterate this) to the nephew that I am unable to just free up 700 Euros, especially as I have had to pay for plane fares etc.

As the buyer is giving the money to two people, my stepmother and myself, I was wondering that if it could be sorted that the money coming to me could have the said deductions removed and the rest of the cash sent to me by a Bank transfer. However, obviously, I need to ensure that the money will be in my account. I'm really at a quandry what to do as I don't think I can rely on my stepmother having all the cash and sending it to me in a reasonable amount of time nor do I think it'd work well to get her to pay and then I send her the money via a bank transfer.

Anyone got any clues?! Also, if I had a NIE number - does anyone know what I'd need to be able to get an account in Spain?

I have a Santander account but apparently the Spanish part of it is considered by them another bank so I can't go and put the cash (if it was legal to give the money to me in cash) into my UK account.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport