P60, two jobs and JSA

Hi,

I received the P60 from my current employer but only shows the tax I have paid at my current employment that I started last October. Before that, I worked until June somewhere else and I was on JSA from June till mid September. On my P60 where it says Pay and Income from previous employer is blank.
I thought that the income and tax that I paid at my previous employment from april till june plus JSA would be on my P60, does it have to be or am I supposed to get another P60 from previous employer?

Comments

• SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    The income from your previous employment would only be on the P60 from your new employer if you provided them with a P45 when your old job ended.

You won't get another P60 from your old employer, but you should have a P45 from them which summarises everything you earned in that job. Combining those figures with the P60 from your new employer will be the total you have earned in employment.

If you didn't get a P45 from your old job, you should ask for one.
  • borderline
    borderline Posts: 345
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 May 2014 at 4:36PM
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    The income from your previous employment would only be on the P60 from your new employer if you provided them with a P45 when your old job ended.

You won't get another P60 from your old employer, but you should have a P45 from them which summarises everything you earned in that job. Combining those figures with the P60 from your new employer will be the total you have earned in employment.

If you didn't get a P45 from your old job, you should ask for one.

the jobcenter got the P45 from my previous employer but the jobcenter never gave me a P45 when I found a job:(

I asked for one and all they sent me was a letter saying what they had paid me but they didnt send me a P45 so I could never give my current employer a p45 from the jobcentre

I guess this is why there is nothing about my previous employer and jobcenter on my P60

well, what to do now? how can I prove I have paid taxes between June and September at previous job and jobcenter if I ever need to prove anything?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    do you know if your tax was correct for the job from September : what was your tax code?
  • borderline
    Forumite
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    do you know if your tax was correct for the job from September : what was your tax code?

tax code was correct, 944L
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    borderline wrote: »

This would have been the emergency tax code and as you were on jobseekers prior to this job it is possible tax paid is not correct. Can you advise figures for the full tax year?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

a taxcode of 944L with a cumulative code would probably mean you underpaid tax.

were there any letters after the 944L like M1 or Wk1 or noncum
  • borderline
    Forumite
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    a taxcode of 944L with a cumulative code would probably mean you underpaid tax.

were there any letters after the 944L like M1 or Wk1 or noncum

on the P60 it says 944L W1
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    on the P60 it says 944L W1

You need to dig out the details of all taxable income and tax paid to check if you have paid the correct tax for the year.
  • borderline
    Forumite
    chrisbur wrote: »
    You need to dig out the details of all taxable income and tax paid to check if you have paid the correct tax for the year.

I wouldnt know how to calculate this unless there is an online calculator somewhere and since I don't have a P45 from the jobcenter I wouldn't have the correct figures...

If I had over paid taxes, would the tax office pick up on this and issue a refund or do they only notice/care if you have under paid taxes?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,949
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There are various online calculators, eg listentotaxman.com
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income