Claiming PPI on very old accounts

New Post Advanced Search

Claiming PPI on very old accounts

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
4 replies 4K views
malcbartmalcbart Forumite
5 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Hi, I recently found a slip relating to a Credit Card I had with National Girobank from 1986 - 1994ish. I remember paying a load of interest on this credit card as I was always skint! How would I go about looking into reclaiming PPI or is it too late please? National Girobank were apparently taken over by Alliance & Leicester who then apparently part merged with either Santander or NB&A according to a Santander rep who I phoned (he had never heard of National Girobank). He advised me to look at my credit rating to find out if the account is on there? I have a slip with the account number so I just need to know if it is too late please and if not then who took over liability for the old Credit Card accounts so that I can contact them please.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Malc :j

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    PPI wasn't available in 1986.

I think without any evidence from your own archive you're going to find it impossible to advance any complaint.

You are not even aware for sure that you had any PPI and seem focused on the interest you paid (which will never be refunded).

Twenty years on from the closure of this account and with no evidence, you are probably best forgetting about this...
  • malcbartmalcbart Forumite
    5 posts
    Thanks for that. I was recently contacted by a PPI claims company and they kept on about PPI being a hidden charge within the Interest on Credit Cards, Mortgages and indeed some Loans where a PPI policy was not taken out. They were very interested in account numbers of all Loans, Credit Cards and Mortgages even when PPI was not being sold with the product but still hidden within the product as a fail safe for Banks incase people defaulted on their payments. After reading a lot of posts it seems to be the 'done thing' now to write and ask the companies if PPI was included within the cost/interest of the product. Is this correct or are they spreading wild rumours?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    malcbart wrote: »
    they kept on about PPI being a hidden charge within the Interest on Credit Cards, Mortgages and indeed some Loans where a PPI policy was not taken out.
    This is just nonsense.
    Loans, Credit Cards and Mortgages even when PPI was not being sold with the product but still hidden within the product as a fail safe for Banks incase people defaulted on their payments.
    This is also just nonsense.
    are they spreading wild rumours?
    Indeed.

I advise you to ignore all cold calls and do your own research about how PPI was mis-sold.
  • societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    are they spreading wild rumours?
    No, not wild rumours, they're lying to you.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support