should bt charge me for moving home

in Phones & TV
8 replies 1.3K views
I have just exchanged contracts and move in a few days so have only been able to give bt 9 days notice to stop my phone and broadband contract with them. I have had the current contract for a couple of years and have been with bt for well over 40 years (yes I am quite old!) I will need bt phone and broadband when I eventually move into my new home (which is not ready yet) so they have told me I will be charged £76 for disconnection. Is this reasonable - they did also say there would be no charge for connection when I do move.

Should I be grateful that they are only charging this?

Replies

• Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    An alternative interpretation is that for forty years you have not had to pay for all the frequent flitters who change accounts every nine or eighteen months! You are a net winner from this arrangement, not a loser.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had done a home move with BT, that would be free (unless a new line is required). In return, that then starts a new minimum term contract.
    Since you are not doing that, you will be charged an ETC for your breach of contract: it appears that you have commenced a new minimum term with BT in the last year or so.
    They're charging you for early termination, not for moving.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My mother moved with BT at short notice. No charge as far as I could tell but no doubt she had to start a new commitment term. Plusnet Internet was moved seamlessly with this line also at no charge. But there was an existing physical line to the address.
  • I moved home last year. I took my old number with me plus Infinity BB.
    I moved into a new property, so there was some exchange/cabinet work required to get everything up and running for the first time.
    The engineer who came to the premises even moved the master socket from the lounge to the bedroom for me.

Cost of all this ? Zero !

I do feel sorry for BT at times, they seem to get blamed for every thing - even the bad weather.
    I have had a BT phone line since the seventies - never had the slightest problem whatsoever with service or payments. My Infinity BB is superb too.........
  • edited 4 May 2014 at 3:59PM
    HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2014 at 3:59PM
    My Infinity BB is superb too.........
    Do you know what speed you're now getting? I live close to an exchange and am already getting 22.8Mb - so don't think an upgrade would be worth it - but a comparison would be nice.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With FTTC, what matters is distance to the street cab, not distance to the exchange.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have underground cabs in this area and that is 72 yards from my house (I know because it floooded a couple of years ago causing my line to fail and the OR engineer pinged it to trace the fault). It, in turn, is 100 yards from the exchange.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz wrote: »
    Do you know what speed you're now getting? I live close to an exchange and am already getting 22.8Mb - so don't think an upgrade would be worth it - but a comparison would be nice.

Run at 1204....

19376248a5edd5e69e056b634a7da60dc2982de5.jpg

Of course many/most servers cannot download at anything approaching this speed - but it is nice to have a bit of "spare" capacity :D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides