House Contents Insurance - Specified Item

Hi.

I'm paying for contents insurance with an insurer, and had originally got the quote through quidco.

I've checked the insurance documenation and it has a section

Contents Specified Items (Kept in the home and Included in Contents sum insured).

There is nothing listed here, (because the quidco insurance comparison tool didn't ask me for any details like this).

My question is, what is this section for? Should I list anything (or everything?) here, and what? For example should I of put my tv on here? Its probably the most expensive item I can think of but its only worth £500.

The section before says I have contents insurance of £10000 cover, so am I actually insured for this even though I've not specified any items?

Thanks,
MrPlinky

Comments

• l0u1se
    l0u1se Posts: 179 Forumite
    You need to look at your policy to see what each individual articles limit is, this usually only applies to valuables such as jewellery, and may be a figure of £1000/£3000 etc. usually the single article limit is only applied to these sort of items so you should be fine not specifying your items
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Specified items are, generally, those high risk items that are worth more than £X to buy new today (or worth £X today for collectables/ antiques). X varies by insurer from £1,000 for budget providers to £15,000+ for higher end providers.

Looking at the quidco website it does specifically ask:

Do you want to insure specific items worth over £1000?
    (Not including bicycles or laptops)

If your policy came through with it being blank then thats because you answered no to the above. If the TV is only worth £500 new and there is nothing worth more than it then answering no was the correct answer
  • Smithers37
    Smithers37 Posts: 248
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Also Specified Items are usually only items that you'll take away from the home (check your policy) while everything would be covered under your contents cover anyway.

Watch out for single article limits, for example if you have a sofa that's worth £6000 but your indemnity is £50, 000 and you have a max article limit of 10% your max cover would be £5000, so it may not be covered.
    "Always fulfil your needs, only fulfil your wants when your needs are no longer a concern" - citricsquid
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Smithers37 wrote: »
    Also Specified Items are usually only items that you'll take away from the home (check your policy) while everything would be covered under your contents cover anyway.

Watch out for single article limits, for example if you have a sofa that's worth £6000 but your indemnity is £50, 000 and you have a max article limit of 10% your max cover would be £5000, so it may not be covered.

You normally have specified items under Contents and specified items under Personal Possessions. Those under contents are not covered out of the home as standard.

The exact purpose of specified items is to insure items that go above the single article limit
  • MrPlinky
    MrPlinky Posts: 15 Forumite
    Ok thanks.

Its reassuring to know that I'm probably covered for everything I own in the house. I just need to scrutinize the policy details now, although the documents I have aren't exactly 100% clear on everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure