Ideas for what to do with our garden...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
20 replies 2.4K views
martin2345ukmartin2345uk Forumite
786 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi guys :)

Bought our house last summer, and decided that by next (ie this!) summer, we'd get the garden completely redone.

It's a small garden, with a wooden fence all round, and currently it's almost all decked. However the decking is old and rotting in places, so I would really like to get rid of it.

Here's a photo of the garden from the bedroom window:

IMG_0146_zpscd6aebbc.jpg

As you can see it's very small, so I was hoping for a few ideas as for what to do!

All I've really thought of is lawn, with a small flowerbed border all the way round (and that's only because that's exactly what next door have :))

I would also like to try and fit a small shed in, but where'd be the best place for it..?

Also.. I genuinely have no idea how much it would cost to get someone in to remove all the decking and sort out whatever lies beneath and turn it into an actual garden... any ball park figures? Are we talking £3,000... £5,000... £7,000?!

Any input would be most useful!!

Replies

• shegarshegar Forumite
    2K Posts
    For such a small area you would be better to do it DIY , then it wont cost much at all.........Pull the decking up and dump it at the dump, I would be inclined to make a oval or circle shape grass area in the middle , have narrow flower borders on one side , and the other side have one row of slabs and stand some flower pots on, you could fit a small 6 X 4 shed in the most shaded part of the garden..........

You have a nice tree at the bottom end which breaks the fence up a bit, I would also paint the fence to get rid of that terrible orange colour and go for fern green or a dark blue , hang a few bird boxes about , and it will soon look welcoming.......

You could get the shed for about £150 , slabs about 12 @ £3 each , 5 litres of fence paint , about £20........A box of grass seed £7, some glazed pots say about £40 for about 4 , you could easily do that small area for about £300 , but thats my opinion , other posters may have different ideas of what you could achieve .....Good luck...
  • martin2345ukmartin2345uk Forumite
    786 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You know, I'd never even entertained the idea of doing it ourselves...!!

I guess we could try it..?? How do you even lay a lawn!? I might get a book on the subject..!!
  • With such a small space, I would use good quality artificial grass for the lawn.
    786 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Skittle65 wrote: »
    With such a small space, I would use good quality artificial grass for the lawn.

Something else I'd never even considered... is it hard to lay, or would you have to get a fake-grass-expert in to do that? It would be nice not to have to mow a lawn... :)
  • shegarshegar Forumite
    2K Posts
    Do a google search on grass seeding , much easier and cheaper than buying a book...MSE..:)
  • lee111slee111s Forumite
    3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Google "small garden ideas" :)
  • edited 27 April 2014 at 10:51PM
    I_have_spokenI_have_spoken
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2014 at 10:51PM
    In such a small space, grass (real or artificial) isn't helpful IMHO. You'd not need a lawnmower, a guinea pig would be fine.

Which direction is the sun at midday?
    786 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    In such a small space, grass (real or artificial) isn't helpful IMHO.

Which direction is the sun at midday?

Hmmm I'm not too sure to be honest! The sun kind of rises in front of the house and moves up over it but on the left hand side as you're looking at the photo I posted...
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shegar wrote: »
    Pull the decking up and dump it at the dump

Advertise the decking on your local Freegle or Freecycle site and you can get someone else to come and lift it and take it away.
  • edited 27 April 2014 at 10:09PM
    I_have_spokenI_have_spoken
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2014 at 10:09PM
    OK, sounds like the most light is evening sun on the right hand fence. The way to maximise feeling space in small garden is to 'zig-zag' so you don't end up with mean areas along the fence.

You'll need something to cover that ugly fencing.

I followed this design in a garden make-over I did -

belsize_park_11.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys