Poppies

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2 replies 537 views
Coveredinbees!!!!Coveredinbees!!!! Forumite
3.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
We have some poppies in the bit of the garden that hasn't been done yet. The are quiet nice ones not the standard red ones and would like to collect some of the seed heads to replant next year. How long do the need to be left to develope before I can remove the seed heads?
Is it too early for christmas jumpers?

Replies

• torbrextorbrex
    71.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If you shake the seed head and it rattles you can cut it off and store the seeds in a paper bag.
  • Zazen999Zazen999 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Covered

We collect poppy seeds every year - basically the smaller the head the quicker they dry out - what happens is the leaves fall off leaving the head, as they dry out, around the top small holes develop which then let the seeds out when the wind blows. they are ready when they go brown, and not before. I usually go out every day and the ones with brown heads get taken off and put in a paper bag/large envelope. I keep a packet of silica gel [which comes in handbags, trainers, coat pockets] in with my seeds as it stops them going mouldy. During autumn, when they are all dried out, i pop the top of each seed head and empty the seeds into the bag. The outside shells do sometimes have stray seeds in, so throw them where you are wanting more poppies to grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News