Balcony ideas

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
6 replies 835 views
lilmoi1985lmlilmoi1985lm Forumite
421 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hello, im new to the world of gardening and was wondering if anyone could put me in the right direction for grening up a balcony 6 x 3 feet (We dont have a garden!) just for the short term as moving soon and want to take tubs and such along with move. Havent got extreme cash so any ideas of re-using other items??
Money's our first priority, it doesn't make sense to me -Simple Plan - Crazy
Debt at lightbulb moment 13/12/07 £13820. Debt now 20/02/09 £11316:confused:
'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd #665'

Replies

• alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, im new to the world of gardening and was wondering if anyone could put me in the right direction for grening up a balcony 6 x 3 feet (We dont have a garden!) just for the short term as moving soon and want to take tubs and such along with move. Havent got extreme cash so any ideas of re-using other items??

Just for grennery i was going to say hostas then remembered this "balcony gardening forum" which i am sure will be of more help than i will :o

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/balcony/
  • Brilliant thank you so much
  • Zazen999Zazen999 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi.
    If you are not too far off a move, you can still start beans, peas, courgettes, cucumbers, and some wintery veg such as kale, swiss chard [very colourful], swede, turnips, and i sowed carrots and onions today which can stay in the ground for most of the winter.
    Lettuce, radish, spinach and other fast growing veg can also be grown.
    Or if money is tight, don't forget to join the local freecycle group and keep a look out for/post a wanted ad for pots and possibly soil of compost. I've got pots that i am trying to get rid of, but the trip to sunderland would be a bit of a trek [from derby!] [p.s. - if anyone reading this does want any - pm me privately].
    I would also look for a variety pack of seeds - you can get summer veg packs which include about 10 different types of seeds without buying 10 packets.

Don't ask me about anything other than veg though - not interested. Why waste space on stuff that you can't eat?
  • V_Chic_ChickV_Chic_Chick Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Don't ask me about anything other than veg though - not interested. Why waste space on stuff that you can't eat?

I take the same attitude, unlike my dad, which leads to a constant battle as I always want to extend the veggie patch, but he wants it "looking nice". >(

It's a bit late now for growing most things from seed, but small veggie plants, such as tomatoes, are still available in garden centres. Tomatoes are almost invincible, except by the frosts. All of mine had about half their leaves turn white earlier this season, and I thought they were all going to die, but they're fine now - go figure.

You can often get free plant pots if necessary from freecycle. Keep to container gardening so that you can move them . . .

Also, I've rescued several herb plants from supermarkets - I've got a sainsbury's basil that has roughly tripled in size in the last two months (largely due to repotting, I'm sure) and have just got two more from aldi - chives (looking happy) and coriander (flopping over a bit and not looking too cheerful).

Growing veggies is great fun, I do recommend it, and if you have a garden in your next home then I recommed getting some raspberries - they take sod all maintenance, send up runners to create more plants, and crop nicely :)
  • lilmoi1985lmlilmoi1985lm Forumite
    421 Posts
    I've never thought of growing in tubs & pots. Can I do that for lots of veg????
  • RASRAS Forumite
    29.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes

You would be amazed what you can get out of a few tubs. Also, since they are close to the house, the season will be extended by several weeks.

You would just get a harvest off a very late lot of french beans, "early" peas and particularly mangetout would provide a crop (until New Year for me last year). Swiss chard is well worth it and could be harvested until it runs to seed next April. Lettuce are still OK as are beetroot and carrots. Add rocket, lamb's lettuce and landcress for winter salads, when the lettuce pack up. And if you put two or three potatoes in a tub, you can upend them through the autumn, nick the big ones, pout them back and leave the little ones to bulk up. Try Charlotte, Carlingford, Nicola.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals