Rakeback schemes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
18 replies 1.5K views
flutterbybutterflyflutterbybutterfly Forumite
214 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Anyone know of any good rakeback schemes? My husband plays online and has had a few mid-sized wins but mainly breaks even. He plays for about 4-5 nights per week so a rakeback scheme might make a lttle bit of money. He has exhausted all the cashback sites I have suggested and now just uses his favourite two sites.

Any tips?
Irony.

The opposite of wrinkly.

Replies

• jimmyboy420jimmyboy420 Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You're talking poker... right?

We don't really talk about that here, as there's no risk free money to be made, except in free rolls, but they're too much like hard work! Try the rpoints forum (https://www.rpoints.co.uk) as they talk about other gambling things so may have something on poker :)
    3.924kWp (12X327Wp SunPower). SolarEdge SE3500 inverter.
    Surrey/SE. 30 degree roof pitch, chimney shading from mid afternoon.
  • jens_2jens_2 Forumite
    69 Posts
    Anyone know of any good rakeback schemes? My husband plays online and has had a few mid-sized wins but mainly breaks even. He plays for about 4-5 nights per week so a rakeback scheme might make a lttle bit of money. He has exhausted all the cashback sites I have suggested and now just uses his favourite two sites.

Any tips?

Here are some sites with rakeback : http://xxx.1pokerbonus.com/rakeback.htm
    google "rakeback" to see more sites.

Which network does he want rakeback on?
  • flutterbybutterflyflutterbybutterfly Forumite
    214 Posts
    ✭✭
    You're talking poker... right?

We don't really talk about that here, as there's no risk free money to be made,

Yes, talking poker.

Surely no gambling is risk free money!

My husband plays poker because he has a very stressful job and it helps him unwind. He doesn't go out drinking with his mates very often and probably spends less money on this hobby than he would if he just went out on beers. He has always puts big wins into the household "pot" and uses smaller wins to fund his playing, as yet he hasn't had any major losses.

I have looked at Rpoints forum but can't find anything.

Jens, the link you put didn't go to anything. Is it right?

I tried googling rakeback before writing this thread but I would rather go on recommendation.

Thanks!
    Irony.

The opposite of wrinkly.
  • J45J45 Forumite
    290 Posts
    you need to replace the xxx with www for the link to work.

rakeback is generally 30% but depends on what network you want to play on.
  • Riviera_KidRiviera_Kid Forumite
    157 Posts
    flutterbybutterfly - PM Sent :)
  • jimmyboy420jimmyboy420 Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, talking poker.

My husband plays poker because he has a very stressful job and it helps him unwind. He doesn't go out drinking with his mates very often and probably spends less money on this hobby than he would if he just went out on beers. He has always puts big wins into the household "pot" and uses smaller wins to fund his playing, as yet he hasn't had any major losses.
    I'm not criticising, just pointing out why iut isn't discussed here. I play poker too.:confused:
    3.924kWp (12X327Wp SunPower). SolarEdge SE3500 inverter.
    Surrey/SE. 30 degree roof pitch, chimney shading from mid afternoon.
  • He has exhausted all the cashback sites I have suggested and now just uses his favourite two sites.

Any tips?

What do you mean by "He has exhausted all the cashback sites"?
  • advantaadvanta Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, talking poker.

I have looked at Rpoints forum but can't find anything.

Jens, the link you put didn't go to anything. Is it right?

I tried googling rakeback before writing this thread but I would rather go on recommendation.

Thanks!

To answer your question, twoplustwo and bonus w h o r e s.com (the software here won't allow me to type that nasty word out) have comprehensive lists of rakeback sites.

Now, I'm going to have to be mean here.

I'm guessing here, but your husband is probably just lucky. He will lose back all his profits with virtual certainty.
    90% of poker players lose money.

I'm not quite as averse to risk as some here, but I do draw the line at not having an edge. As a practical matter, you really have to assume you don't have an edge at online poker.

I, and many other potential poker players who were already winning gamblers, have experimented with poker. We bought volumes of literature which vastly understate the difficulty of making money online. We study hard, use computer software, train with practice programs constantly.

The reason is that there are many, many people pursuing the poker dream and put in ridiculous amounts of effort to eliminate leaks in their game. One guy who does win six figures regularly told me recently why: "I put in 7000 hours thinking, practicing and actually playing poker to get to this level. Good luck competing with that if you have a life". Does your husband want it that bad? I very much doubt it. And, I very much doubt it is worth it.

As to helping him unwind, yes it helps to relieve stress when you win. When you lose it makes you worse. It is like smokers who say a fag helps them unwind, oblivious to the fact that nicotine is a stimulant which stresses them out in the first place.
  • Riviera_KidRiviera_Kid Forumite
    157 Posts
    I don't know the OP's situation but it just sounds like a hobby to me. Her husband comes home from work, and then he might play a couple of games sometime during the evening. It doesn't sound like he's playing at the higher levels so he shouldn't encounter any rounders :)

Like with many other things as long as you don't get addicted to it and don't risk money that you aren't prepared to lose, there's nothing wrong with playing a bit of poker. At the lower levels it's certainly not the minefield you make it out to be.
  • dunners_2dunners_2 Forumite
    218 Posts
    ✭✭
    advanta wrote: »
    To answer your question, twoplustwo and bonus w h o r e s.com (the software here won't allow me to type that nasty word out) have comprehensive lists of rakeback sites.

Now, I'm going to have to be mean here.

I'm guessing here, but your husband is probably just lucky. He will lose back all his profits with virtual certainty.
    90% of poker players lose money.

Where did you get that 90% from? I have to disagree.

I have played poker for several years and use poker tracker / poker office. Over 10s of thousands of hands I have made profit, very little, but that doesnt worry me much as I play for fun and to learn the game. It has definitely got a lot harder to make profit over the last couple of years as the standard of play online has increased massively.

If the OP's husband plays fairly regularly, be it as a hobby or more seriously, then the sensible thing to do is seek rakeback and get a 40% of what the poker room takes from you back.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals