Cheap phone provider from France

in Phones & TV
5 replies 1K views
I have been looking on the net for a while for equivalent providers to Telediscount or Alpha Telecom in France.
All my family lives in France and it is quite expensive for them to phone me here in the UK. Does anybody have any tips?
Thanks
Anoushka

Replies

• andy88_2andy88_2
    3.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone asked that for this thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=44399

I found Telerabais and Telesoldes, which are equivalent to Telediscount and 1899. Telerabais cheaper at the moment
    Royaume-Uni (fixe) tarif local* 0811 65 81 81
  • student100student100 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    What if I can only call from a payphone? I will be working in France this summer and will probably only have access to a payphone. When I was in the US last year I bought a "virtual" calling card (http://www.click4prepaid.com/) that allowed me to call home for US$0.05 per minute - cheaper than payphone calls within the UK! However these don't seem as prevalent this side of the Atlantic.

I have an ekit facility on my ISIC card which charges about US$0.30 per minute to call from France to the UK...which is the cheapest I've found so far but it's not great.

Does anyone know if French payphones accept incoming international calls? Would it be possible for me to call home with the ekit card (or my mobile) just to give them the number to call me back on, then get them to call me back for 1p/min using telestunt/savers etc? Or would this not work...?

Any suggestions?
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • andy88_2andy88_2
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know; using calling cards with payphones is fraught with variations. Blocks, surcharges, money in the phone to start the call, different tariffs from the provider. And incoming calls may or may not succeed; you need to find out the number for a start, and it is possible that some boxes do not even have a number ...

I think that some of the reasons for this are to do with the payphone provider getting paid. Maybe some calling cards make arrangements to pass on part of the higher charge, others do not. Some are recognised and some are not.

I have an Alpha Telecom account which works from Belgian and Luxembourg callboxes and Vodafone Germany so far, at the same tariff as the rest of the time, with a supplement for the international leg home. From France it's 16p per minute - no advantage for you. I got my brother in Germany to try cheaper US calling cards from his mobile, but they did not work.

I don't know your card but going on that tariff it would work. Does it have a different tariff from landlines; can you use a landline if you promise it is an 0800 number?

Someone on MSE mentioned http://www.gotalk.co.uk/index.htm
    see their travel service - and see if you can get someone in France to try the access number for you. The German one was blocked from mob.

nb French mobiles do not have free 0800 access. If you use a callback service with a French SIM card, that will be about the same as you're paying with your current card.

sorry this rambles a bit
  • student100student100 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    mmm, thanks. The GoTalk think looks roughly like what I was looking for, if it works... they say the rate is 3p/min from French payphones. Has anyone used this successfully? The minimum account purchase is £20 so I don't want to get one if it's not going to work...

The Ekit card has a rather strange list of rates depending on which access number you use; look here. Ones that say they are for payphone access are 44p/min, others are 13p/min or 24p/min and don't say whether or not they are payphone-accessible...

As far as mobile calls go, what is pretty much guaranteed to work is my Virgin mobile phone which charges me 60p/min for outgoing and 30p/min for incoming calls; this would allow home to call me at a total cost of 40p/min (10p/min UK landline -> mobile from Telesavers etc plus 30p/min incoming calls).

Has anyone had any success using any calling cards or equivalent in France?
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • andy88_2andy88_2
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if the GoTalk had a different rate than that. Do you know anyone in France that could ring it from a callbox? Either there will be no access or it will ask for a PIN.

Those Ekit rates do look variable. I looked up another provider 46.9p. Maybe the Alpha rate is not terrible. If the GoTalk doesn't work, let me know.

You could end up with a foreign SIM and callback service.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides