Tomatoes - yellow lower leaves

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
8 replies 1K views
MarisanMarisan Forumite
96 Posts
Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hello there,

Don't worry - I don't think you are doing anything wrong.Mine are the same,it may be the weather we are getting at the moment.As long as the trusses are setting you are doing fine.

Don't forget to water regularly,as tomato plants hate hit and miss watering.One tip I learned was to gently tap the plants (better still the supports they are growing up ) to encourage pollination.

Once you have tried your own home grown tommies,you will never eat the bland,tasteless shop ones again.

Enjoy!
.Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Replies

• Zazen999Zazen999 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi.
    chop them off!!! They are no use now.

Toms only really need 3-4 leaves on them to survive - I chop the bottom ones as they grow, and keep the ones near to the friut/flowers, otherwise they put all their energies into leaves and not into the fruit.

Make sure that, even with all this rain, you feed weekly - they need the extra boost to give you juicy toms.
  • Yep - I was going to say pull them off too. It helps the light get in and they concentrate the energy into fruit production rather than leaves.

I have taken too many off mine this year though so don't be too over-zealous!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • MrsTinksMrsTinks Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always cut of any yellowing leaves to prevent disease setting in :) They may have only turned yellew through natural reasons but leaving them on will increase the chances that disease can get to your plant so definitely nip the little blighters off :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • noonesperfectnoonesperfect Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    If this rain slows down I'll pop out and whip them off (the yellow leaves that is :o ).

Funny it's not happened to the bush tomato I bought, only the other (unidentified) two that I was given. Mmmmm.......

There are strange things going on round here, the post, the newspaper and a friend I hadn't seen for a year all turned up before 9am this morning..........:shocked:
    :wave:
  • ~Chameleon~~Chameleon~ Forumite
    12K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed on the tomato plants I have outdoors in the ground that all the new leaves are growing very curly!

It's only the new growth that's affected and they do seem to uncurl eventually but then appear to be much longer and thinner than the other ones.

There's no sign of any pest or other disease, so I just wondered what was causing them to start out so curly? It's not happening to any of my plants in the greenhouse :confused:
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • absfabsabsfabs Forumite
    573 Posts
    Tomatoe plants sometimes have these curly leaves, I don't think it is a bad sign, especially if they are pest free.
  • JayarJayar Forumite
    735 Posts
    ✭✭
    If this rain slows down I'll pop out and whip them off (the yellow leaves that is :o ).
    Thank you noonesperfect, I really needed a laugh tonight
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • noonesperfectnoonesperfect Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Jayar wrote: »
    Thank you noonesperfect, I really needed a laugh tonight

:T My pleasure!!!! ;)
    :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals