what are the rates for private dentists for...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
9.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
lolly5648 wrote: »
I got my local yellow pages and rang round 4 dentists to get prices. When you get the price for a check up be sure to ask if it includes x-rays. The cheaper ones dont.

If you don't have any recommendations for a dentist to go to, this is a reasonable way of sifting through those on offer.

I really wouldn't base a decision on which place to go to on price alone though.

From this method, I would then get a short list of 'possibles' and visit them. (To get a practice leaflet, or to ask some more questions - just make an excuse to drop in without booking an appointment)

Just visiting and seeing the state of the waiting room (Clean, uncluttered, soothing, nice magazines - Or tatty, copies of 'Punch' from 1973, full of patients tapping their feet and looking at their watches) and the staff attitudes (Welcoming helpful and friendly, or rushed off their feet and stressed) will give you an idea of what your money is being spent on.

You might well decide that you will get better 'value for money' at one of the dearer places than one with slightly cheaper prices.
How to find a dentist.
1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals