Allow buyer to look before bidding?

We are selling some bedroom furniture, the listing shows numerous photos and a link to the suppliers website showing the furniture in a 'showroom'. Anyway I've been asked if someone could come around and look at it first before they bid. I'm not so sure about this because it is currently in my daughters room. Obviously, once its sold,we would take it all downstairs for collection.

I don't like the idea of strangers coming upstairs into a bedroom. Is this just me being fussy, or it it acceptable for a buyer to view furniture before they bid?
July Win: Nokia 5800

Comments

• DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    would you buy bedroom furniture without viewing it in person?

if you're not comfortable then don't allow it....I wouldn't have a problem myself.

make sure your daughter tidy's her room....:rotfl:
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Or bring it downstairs to view? :/
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm always aware that some people might want to come & view before buying a large item as I'd never buy anything such as furniture without either viewing it myself or asking a friend or relative to take a look at it on my behalf beforehand.

I must confess that not many people have asked to view things I've been selling beforehand & I'm not sure if they just rely on my excellent feedback as a guide to quality & condition of items I've sold.

Too many people list things on ebay as in excellent condition, only for the buyer to turn up & find that it's anything but.

I think unless you are willing to allow people to view before bidding then ebay isn't the place for you to sell stuff such as furniture.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • if its for sale then why is it still in use in the bedroom? Just bring it downstairs for the viewing. You may get a decent offer to take away there and then, cancel the auction and no ebay fees to pay. Win win for seller & buyer. :money:

Almost always I sell a viewed-collection only item outside of ebay aslong as the offer is good and worth accepting.
    GC Jan £431.490/£480.00 :beer: £48.51 under budget!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    People who ask this invariably don't turn up or it's just another way of making a low offer off eBay. Let them know you intend to let the auction run.don't forget if your selling it as a set to put the individual items in the title.
  • How paranoid are you ? Seriously ? Do you expect that they will murder you ?

Mind you, if you've taken loads of pictures and described the item honestly, and the dimensions are on the suppliers website, and I intended to pick the item up and pay cash, I'd not need to veiw, because if you lied in the description I wouldn't pay up when I saw it.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    I think were encouraged not to put ourselves in dangerous situations, but sooner or later-a male buyer may buy and is going to have to go into the bedroom anyway, if your not comfortable get a friend there.
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We bought a cabin bed for my son last year and went to view two - sellers had no problem, we turned up on time and planned to bid on both beds.. The first bed went for £10 less than the cost of a new one so I didnt bid in the end as by the time we had dismantled it and arranged transport we may as well have bought a new one. The second bed we won and my son was thrilled with it.

I plan to sell some nursery furniture soon and will happily let potential buyers view. If you let a potential buyer view they may be willing to pay more if they like the item.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sounds like a reasonble request , if its for sale then i would have it removed and cleaned up ready for collection

they might make a decent cash offer there and then
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    You say you don't like the idea of strangers going upstairs into a bedroom .... what do the thousands of people who sell their houses every day do when they're allowing potential buyers to look round their house. Do they say you can look downstairs but that's it, they'd never sell it.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure