Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Advice Needed

in Pets & pet care
6 replies 600 views
Hi, I wanted to get an opinion
My 14-year-old mixed doggy collie could not get up last week. She was lame on her back left leg. The vet said that she is not a candidate for surgery due to some arthritis issues in all of her other extremities. She limps on her front left foot. I hate to see her this way and was wondering if it will get better or is this the way she will always be?

Replies

• sandy2_2sandy2_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Perhaps you should see another vet. Ask if steroids, anti inflamatories or pain killers would help her, but remember she is getting on in years, so some arthritis is inevitable, but I'm sure there are medications that can ease the situation just like for humans even if they can't be cured.
    Has the lameness eased off a bit now?
  • I'm surprised that your vet didn't talk to you about this. I'd go back and ask what you can do to ease her discomfort.

You could try an 'alternative' therapy - how about looking into Glucosamine & Condroitine Sulphate, a Copper Collar, or Magnetic Therapy for instance? Your vet will be able to discuss alternative remedies with you too, although if you don't get any joy with your current vet, a homeopathic vet may be more helpful with the alternative treatments. :)

I'm sure someone (Eels?!) will be along soon with some more info.

HTH,

Georgie
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • JustieJustie Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    there are also some chiropractors who treat dogs - not sure how effective that would be but it might be an alternative. I would certainly speak to your vet about pain management and look into using supplements to ease the general aches of old age.
  • kickstart_3kickstart_3 Forumite
    410 Posts
    I have used a chiropractor for one of my dogs (diffferent reasons to you) but would say he was fantastic , far better than the vet. He spent over an hour with my dog , and went into a lot of detailed explanation of his injury. I know your dog isnt injured but it may be usefull to see one.
  • SnowyOwl_2SnowyOwl_2 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    See this previous thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=485284

The OP of that thread has some very strong recommendations. In fact some of them might ring a few bells with you.
  • Eels100Eels100 Forumite
    984 Posts
    I second the advice to go back to your vet and ask for more in-depth advice on managing arthritis. It's a painful condition and one that can be dealt with in a number of ways. All animals are individuals and respond differently to various treatments so it's worth building a good relationship with your vet and going for regular revisits to establish what treatments are helping and what alternatives are on offer.

There may be a reason why your vet hasn't prescribed pain relief - either medically, for example if your dog has been diagnosed with an organ problem, or physically (some lameness is mechanical, which means that it is non-painful and is simply a physical disability). However, your vet may also have underestimated the degree of discomfort your pet is in ... after all, it's you who sees the dog daily and who knows best.

Either way I'd suggest you approach them again and ask for advice on what can be done. In the meantime why not try some good quality glucosamine (ask your vet about what brands and dose they'd recommend) and make sure exercise is short but frequent (this helps the joints to stay mobile).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals