Change executor's name on Grant

Can anybody tell me if it possible to change an executor name on the Grant of Probate?

Situation is that a Fred Smith was named in the Will. Grant obtained in the name of Fred Smith. However this is a shortened name, and is what the person is known as in his normal life.

Full name is say, Peter John Fred Smith. This full name is on the passport and was presented as id to the Chelsea Building Society. The Chelsea are saying that the grant will have to be reissued with the full name before a sum of money is released.

I intend to telephone on Monday to see if they will take some new id showing his shorter name… but if they insist how easy would it be to change?

All the other institutions have accepted the Grant without any questions, this is the last account of about eight to be transferred over to the executor account.

Thank you.

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Maybe useful to ask the Probate Office if they are prepared to reissue it and if so at what cost
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Couldn't you get something signed at a solicitor to say that "Peter John Fred Smith" is commonly know as "Fred Smith" - witnessed by people who have known him for years, if necessary?
  • LittleJohn
    LittleJohn Posts: 105
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you both for the suggestions. I telephoned the Chelsea today and explained the situation.

They said that if I send them a copy of the Will they will reconsider their requirements.

So hopefully this can be sorted without involving the Probate office any further.

So near to getting the finances sorted, just this one account to close :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure