Cycling Accidents ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
42 replies 1.9K views
WesterWester Forumite
257 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
Every year there are thousands of cyclists injured on our roads and over one hundred killed

My question is how many of thse cyclists are experienced or inexperienced cyclists i know it is a very hard question to answer but has anybody got any stats on the subject

My guess is that most cyclists involved in accidents are new to cycling

Replies

• Looking at the way some cyclist behave (esp in the big cities) - I would say the exact opposite.
    After a while they come to think that they are immortal and can overtake, undertake (how apt !), ride on pavements, wrong way down one way street, through pedestrian areas, etc, etc, etc - and of course all of the above at night but with no lights ;)
  • redcardredcard Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Looking at the way some cyclist behave (esp in the big cities) - I would say the exact opposite.
    After a while they come to think that they are immortal and can overtake, undertake (how apt !), ride on pavements, wrong way down one way street, through pedestrian areas, etc, etc, etc - and of course all of the above at night but with no lights ;)

Can you let me know how many cyclists get injured running red lights, as opposed to, say, those injured by moronic drivers not looking where they're going?

Of course you can't.
    Hope over Fear. #VoteYes
  • I can't work out how to post a link but if you look up TFL's 'casualties in greater London' statistics it makes interesting reading. Granted its London only but actually the numbers of pedestrians killed or injured is much higher.

People who are impatient, ruler breakers or just a bit stupid will injure themselves regardless of the mode of transport they choose.

Continuous cyclist-bashing with sweeping generalisations about a group who only have their choice of transport in common clearly shows a lack of intelligence & inability to make valid points.
  • Many of the red-light-jumping cyclists are highly alert, running on adrenaline, and know exactly what they're doing - they know the risks and choose to take them. Truth is, of course, they're transferring responsibility for their safety to others.

Similarly - the risk to a cyclist riding without lights is very low - in an urban environment, drivers CAN see them and CAN take avoiding action - again, it's putting responsibility onto the driver.

However - a cyclist who stops at red is at risk from the driver behind who doesn't want to. Or the truck driver who stops immediately behind them and forgets they're there (I had a car damaged in London after a skip lorry stopped alongside me, then set off and dragged my car by the wheelarch - he forgot about me).

Or the cyclist who follows left-hand cycle lanes without understanding the risk can find themselves alongside a left-turning truck.

Also both novice and experienced cyclists are at risk until they get to know the hazards on their route, and maybe fine-tune a route to avoid the worst bits.

My own experience is that simply following the rules does not bring safety - you have to do the thinking for some drivers. Only experience can bring that knowledge. I don't jump red lights - but if a truck pulls alongside me or directly behind me I'll move forward a few feet and make eye contact with the driver. Strictly-speaking illegal, but the safest thing to do in the circumstances.
    Long-haul Supporters DFW 120
    Debt @ LBM (October 2007): £55187
    Debt Now (April 2014): £0
    Debt-free-date: [STRIKE]July[/STRIKE] April 2014 :j:j:j
  • esuhlesuhl Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wester wrote: »
    Every year there are thousands of cyclists injured on our roads and over one hundred killed

My question is how many of thse cyclists are experienced or inexperienced cyclists i know it is a very hard question to answer...

It's impossible to answer unless you can clearly define "experienced" and "inexperienced" AND find a data source that records the "experience level" of cyclists injured in accidents.

In short, no one knows...

It would be interesting to know how many drivers who kill or injure cyclists are "experienced" or "inexperienced", but again, there's no way to know until such words are clearly defined and we collect the data.
  • redcard wrote: »
    Can you let me know how many cyclists get injured running red lights, as opposed to, say, those injured by moronic drivers not looking where they're going?

Of course you can't.

You miss the obvious point - before descending into insults ! - most drivers are all too alert for the antics of cyclists, but regrettably some are caught out.

I can guarantee that if you were to accompany me driving through my town for ten minutes you would see: cyclists not stopping at red lights, riding on the pavement, riding in pedestrian areas, overtaking on the left, giving no signals, no lights.
    Just yesterday morning I saw a cyclist come out of a side road (through a red light - which I was stopped at), ride up onto the pavement for about 20 yds then head into a pedestrian precinct - all at high speed. I presume he felt safe as all the cars at the junction were stopped and he was OK to scatter the pedestrians.......

I have never seen a motorist (however "moronic" he might be) do that in 40 years of driving !!!

"Let him who is without sin cast the First Stone."
    And Jesus also said, "Go and sin no more." - John 8 :rotfl:
  • edited 30 November 2013 at 6:00PM
    Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2013 at 6:00PM
    esuhl wrote: »
    It's impossible to answer unless you can clearly define "experienced" and "inexperienced" AND find a data source that records the "experience level" of cyclists injured in accidents.

In short, no one knows...

Exactly and even then it would be difficult to interpret the statistics if they did exist without a lot more data. There's a good chance experienced cyclists are going to be cycling more often and for longer so there's a higher probability of having an accident vs an inexperienced cyclist who may only be covering smaller distances and less regularly.

John
  • TiltTilt Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Take a look at this guy's clips... a real eye opener!

http://youtu.be/QYIEb13Rw6U
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • sdavies13sdavies13 Forumite
    101 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have never seen a motorist (however "moronic" he might be) do that in 40 years of driving !!!
    There's a junction near me where I have three times seen motorists mount the pavement (once forcing myself to jump back to avoid being hit) to drive into and through the pub carpark, then out the otherside:

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.551699,0.161324&spn=0.002542,0.003428&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.55174,0.161454&panoid=uikZE87M1PEF9i4N4JAsrQ&cbp=12,185.2,,0,3.94

All in the name of getting past the traffic lights at the upcoming junction.

Sadly we all do stupid or moronic things, myself included, no one is perfect.

A friend of the family ended up on life support after another motorist jumped the red light from the other side of that same junction. She is now in a wheel chair for the rest of her life (she was driving a mini at the time).

Again that same junction is the onetime I have truly feared for my life on my bicycle. I was in the correct lane and had right of way but the bus didn't see it quite like that, overtook in the right turn lane then pulled into my lane but not leaving me any room in the process.

PS Have also seen the likes of pedestrians talking on their mobiles step out in front of moving traffic. A cyclists jump a red light and barely missed by a police car which had the blues and twos on. A skip lorry jump a red light who barely avoided hitting a group of cyclists waiting to cross from the other side.
  • Yorkie1Yorkie1 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time I've been involved in a cycle accident was on a dual carriageway road in my town (urban, 30mph) which curves left as it goes over a small river bridge.

I was on the left side of the left lane. There was a bus in the right lane. A white van man decided there was room for him to drive down the rest of the left lane, between me and the bus. There was, but only by knocking me out of the way with his wide wing mirror.

I'm an experienced cyclist but, short of never cycling on that road ever again, there was nothing I could have done 'better' to prevent that accidents.

Cyclists, pedestrians and motorists - you can't legislate for the morons.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals