Choosing a credit limit

Options
A friend is looking at trying to improve his credit score - he has never had a credit card before, has no other outstanding credit but will soon be applying for a contract mobile phone for which a credit check is carried out. He has found a suitable card provider and is in the process of filling in an application online, but has got to the point where he can stipulate a credit limit. My question is - should he accept the maximum offered or should he ask for a lower amount? He has no intention of using the card up to the limit, will just be buying petrol and sundries and paying this off in full every month. Any advice please?

Comments

• cookyy2k
    Options
    The minimum possible I'd suggest. If it's just for building a credit rating putting a small purchase on and paying it off each month will do the job without the temptation of that big purchase you kid yourself about being able to pay back at the end of the month. Intentions before you get credit can quickly go out the window once it's sat there (see my signature).Keeping the limit to the minimum will limit possible exposure and damage should the temptation prove too much as it has for many on this site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure