New Lloyds Credit Cards - Avios and "Choice Rewards"

Options
zerog
zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
edited 4 November 2013 at 8:28PM in Credit cards
Lloyds Bank has relaunched their Avios Duo cards with a much improved offer - somewhat mimicking the Amex BA cards. They have also launched a rip-off of Amex's Membership Rewards - called "Choice Rewards".

I wonder if TSB will relaunch their Avios cards with a different offer too.

There is potentially cashback available once TCB/QC update?

http://www.lloydsbank.com/credit-cards.asp?WT.ac=SNCC1012#tab-row-6

Important differences from Amex BA cards - NO FOREX FEE, and 13m 0% BT+purchases

Standard card - fee £24, 1.25av/£ on the Amex
Premier card - fee £140, 1.5av/£ on the Amex

If 1 avios is 0.6p then you need to spend £3200 to cover the fee above the free BA Amex (assuming no foreign or Mastercard spend)

The 241 voucher on the free BA Amex is not worth aiming for. However, the standard Lloyds card offers 2 BA upgrade vouchers for spending £7000. This allows you to upgrade award seats.

On short-haul the vouchers will be worth up to 15000 avios (20K to Moscow) representing a 50% saving. The taxes will double, but are inexpensive anyway.

On long-haul you can save 33% on the Avios price if upgrading WT to WT+ (but taxes will double), or save 25% if upgrading WT+ to CW (the BA surcharge component will increase).

However, you have to book via avios.com, which has disadvantages compared to booking with BA. OTOH, it appears that upgrades on other airlines may be possible e.g. AirMalta. I haven't looked into this fully.

The premier Lloyds is £10 cheaper than the premier BA Amex, but doesn't earn 3av/£ on BA spending. To see which voucher is better really depends on your flying patterns.

There is also a double Avios for 6 months offer.
You can earn Avios on BTs, which will offset the 3% fee, but this is not helpful if you need to spend.

http://www.lloydsbank.com/credit-cards.asp?WT.ac=SNCC1012#tab-row-1

Choice Rewards
Effectively 1.5% cashback (on Amex spend) if you take it in high street vouchers.
There is also an option to get statement credit (rate is unclear) and to convert to Avios, at 1av/£.
Worth considering if you have no use for Avios.

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    What happened to the days when credit cards and their cashback were simple to understand?
  • Stephen_C.
    Options
    I went in-branch to ask for an upgrade to Avios Duo last week (for the 3rd time now?) and was told to wait until mid-November. This is obviously why.

I take it I won't be able to get the old, fee-free card anymore?

If there's cashback of at least £20 then I will go for the faux Membership Rewards because of the flexibility. I don't necessarily need Avios.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stephen_C. wrote: »
    I take it I won't be able to get the old, fee-free card anymore?
    The old fee-free card was issued by Lloyds TSB which no longer exists. TSB offers a fee-free card which to all intents and purposes seems to be the equivalent of the old card, though I haven't compared them in detail.

http://www.tsb.co.uk/credit_cards/avios.asp
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport