credit card advice wanted please

Options
Hi all,

I just want some advice on the best way to go about this and if I am doing the right thing.

I want to do some work to the house (approx £2-£2.5k). I do have the actual cash available in savings for this work to go ahead but I'm thinking of maybe using a 0% credit card so I can 1) spread the cost rather than paying out the full amount all in one go and 2) have some protection from the card company if anything goes wrong with the work.

I have 3 credit cards:

- Tesco clubcard credit card: initially I got this for a few larger purchases, always paid off every month in full. Now just use it occasionally for petrol. Credit limit is £3, 200

- Halifax clarity - used only a few times a year when I go abroad rather than carry cash. Paid off in full every month. Credit limit £1, 000

- Natwest credit card - had this showing on my account for years. It was the first credit card I applied for about 8 years ago. I lost the card somewhere in the house before it was even activated so its never been used.

Looking in the 0% section of MSE, I see tesco / halifax are the best. My question is, if I closed my current credit card account with tesco, could I reapply for another card and still get the 18 months 0%?

If I went with halifax instead, would I get 2 credit cards with them?

If i went with M&S, that would mean I have 4 credit cards with 4 different companies. Would this look bad despite the fact they are always cleared and I currently and never had any debt, or any missed payments?

I really would like to go with tesco but not sure how I go about this since I already have a card with them.

Cheers for any advice :)

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    You could start by contacting your existing card companies and asking if any will offer you a 0% deal on purchases on your existing card/account with them.

Many banks require you to have a period of 6months between closing and account and being treated as a new customer and eligible for new customer deals (I don't know if Tesco have this timescale).
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Netwizard
    Netwizard Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »
    You could start by contacting your existing card companies and asking if any will offer you a 0% deal on purchases on your existing card/account .

I never thought of doing this, so thanks. I guess if they said no, I could use m&s. 15 months would be more than enough 0% period. I just want to spread the cost rather than spending the cash all in one go
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    If you're using a tradesman to do the work, check he takes credit cards!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure