can my friend get her money back?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
2 replies 606 views
milliemoonmilliemoon Forumite
21 Posts
Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
Hi, I wasn't quite sure where to post this so sorry if this is the wrong place. Was looking for a bit of advice. My friend has had £75 taken from her by pressing on a link one of her friends had text her (the friend hadn't been aware this text had been sent off her phone, must be some sort of virus thing). When she pressed on the link which had seemed as though it had genuinely come from her friend, (via the clever wording) some adult images came up which my friend instantly cancelled. She had other images pop up afterwards and she closed them down immediately. Later when receiving her bill from Orange she saw this had cost her the £75. She phoned Orange who told her to phone the company behind these pictures which she did, only to be told that they would not give her the money back. They were also very rude to her. I've promised her I would look in to this for her as it has obviously really upset her, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any advice as not sure what she can do about this. Surely as she had not signed any terms and conditions they can't legally take this money?
Thanks

Replies

• grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What company is it?
    What exactly are the charges for? Orange can't charge their customers just for clicking some link.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • milliemoon wrote: »
    Hi, I wasn't quite sure where to post this so sorry if this is the wrong place. Was looking for a bit of advice. My friend has had £75 taken from her by pressing on a link one of her friends had text her (the friend hadn't been aware this text had been sent off her phone, must be some sort of virus thing). When she pressed on the link which had seemed as though it had genuinely come from her friend, (via the clever wording) some adult images came up which my friend instantly cancelled. She had other images pop up afterwards and she closed them down immediately. Later when receiving her bill from Orange she saw this had cost her the £75. She phoned Orange who told her to phone the company behind these pictures which she did, only to be told that they would not give her the money back. They were also very rude to her. I've promised her I would look in to this for her as it has obviously really upset her, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any advice as not sure what she can do about this. Surely as she had not signed any terms and conditions they can't legally take this money?
    Thanks

It might be worth complaining to PhonePayPlus?

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/For-the-Public.aspx

I know they help with premium rate calls but not sure if they'd be able to help in your friend's case.
    All my friends and neighbours helped me pack and move for free, at first I was happy until I got told no one liked me and they just wanted to make sure I left. Thanks Mum and Dad.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals