New Post Advanced Search

First time buyer abroad.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
9 replies 582 views
J45J45 Forumite
290 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hi need some advice on a property I am very interested in the UK. I am due to travel and see the property early next month but the problem is it is under offer.

Now this property is in a location that is ideal for me in the UK and there isn't much else that I can afford in that region so do I put in an offer before I travel to make sure it isn't sold.

I am a cash buyer so there's no mortgage complications. Also is there anyone I can contact in the UK to maybe survey the property for me.

Any advice on this would be great.

Replies

• kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    36.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any RICS firm of surveyors would be able to assist;-

http://www.ricsfirms.com/
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go online and find a surveyor with an office close to the property.
    Ask for a fixed price and check what he is going to survey, will he look in the loft, under carpets etc.
  • J45J45 Forumite
    290 posts
    What kind of survey should I go for? There are so many different types.
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    36.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would depend on how long an inspection and how deep a report you require. Speak to your shortlist of surveyors and establish what they can do for you and the cost.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ognumognum Forumite
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    J45 wrote: »
    Hi need some advice on a property I am very interested in the UK. I am due to travel and see the property early next month but the problem is it is under offer.

Now this property is in a location that is ideal for me in the UK and there isn't much else that I can afford in that region so do I put in an offer before I travel to make sure it isn't sold.

I am a cash buyer so there's no mortgage complications. Also is there anyone I can contact in the UK to maybe survey the property for me.

Any advice on this would be great.

You have said this property is under offer. frankly there is no point in you travelling to see it or getting a survey!
  • J45J45 Forumite
    290 posts
    oh perhaps I used the wrong phrase. The property has a bid on it, I can still offer more right?
  • googlergoogler Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have the owners or agents accepted the offer? Under Offer would indicate to me that they have.
  • J45J45 Forumite
    290 posts
    It just says the estate agents are in "receipt of an offer" so I am not sure. I will try ringing them tomorrow.
  • ognumognum Forumite
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    J45 wrote: »
    It just says the estate agents are in "receipt of an offer" so I am not sure. I will try ringing them tomorrow.

the terms 'under Offer' and 'Sold Subject to Contract' seem to be used for one and the same thing by EAs. If the advertising has been changed to either term it usually means it off the market.

If it is only the Ea saying 'it's had an offer'. It probably means its still for sale!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support