Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Removal costs.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
6 replies 814 views
daniel80daniel80 Forumite
233 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
House sold and offer excepted on chalet bungalow. We are only moving 2 miles but most quotes are all about £1100 this includes packing. 4 bedroom house but one bedroom has only a single bed, not much furniture in others as all have built in wardrobes. Is this about average, also to make matters worse we might have to put contents into storage at £60 per week as we agreed to move out if the buyers wanted to get in before we could. Due to the distance I thought of doing it myself with friends but my wife is dead against this. We live in the Maidstone area.

Replies

• Hope this does not sound like an add lol, but when I was working out how much it would cost me I found a website where the companies bid against each other for the job, and in the end thought it was much more reasonable than what I expected. But you obviously don't know how good the companies that provide bids are etc.

On the website you have to note down all the large items estimated number of boxes etc I think my cheapest quote was for £145.00 but that was for around the corner and it was in west coast of Scotland, but always worth a try :) Suspect it was a just a couple of guys with a van lol but I am sure you can decide which company you want to use if you google each one you get a result from.
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not always about the distance. I went around 20 miles and it first cost around a grand, then £900 to move in reverse (Brentwood to E4).

I know it's a moneysaving site, but OMG it's hell doing it yourself. IMO, it's worth EVERY penny to have them pack for you.

Recently had my kitchen replaced and some building work and everything had to be moved into other rooms. The hassle of moving each and every item - not even having to wrap it! Honestly, unless you have barely nothing, it really is worth it.

Sounds on the high side of normal to me, not hugely expensive.

I used Inline Removals - they do Essex/East London/Kent, so might be worth a try... (have used them around 4 times. Always been good.)

Jx
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
  • claire80claire80 Forumite
    320 Posts
    I am paying £400 to move 40 miles . This includes all the boxes , paper , bubblewrap tape etc . Plus they will dismantle beds and tables etc and reassemble at other end . Have to pack ourselves - though this was my preference tbh.
    we are a 3 bed house but it is a big house and i would say equiv to a normal 4 bed tbh.
    our lowest quote was 250 but didnt inlude boxes and i wasnt so keen on the company . the one i have chosed has several recommendations from friends .

have you had quotes on the move without the packing service - you can see if you would rather save the money and pack the boxes yourself .
    Making a change in 2013
  • daniel80daniel80 Forumite
    233 Posts
    Thanks removal quotes without packing about £750. Also a few at £250 but that rings alarm bells.
  • SlinkySlinky Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will never ever move again without paying for the packing service. Some things are worth saving money on, this isn't one of them.

Have moved twice with GB Liners and used their packing service. National company, couldn't recommend them highly enough.
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To split mine, it was £293 for the packing and £610 for the removals (in April).

Peeps, it might be helpful to quote areas too (vague fine). The SE is likely to be expensive compared to others.

Jx
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
This discussion has been closed.