IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Debt Recovery Plus

Hi all,

After successfully battling two previous "invoices" from ParkingEye (by contacting the landowner themselves) I have landed myself 2 more invoices - one from Total Parking Solutions Ltd. and one from County Parking Enforcement Agency Ltd.

Due to other circumstances I have not fought these guys using the usual soft appeal -> POPLA route. However both PPCs have forwarded the debt onto those monkeys Debt Recovery Plus (is this normal given the post-Oct2012 rules?) and I have the following letter from them (exact same for both invoices).

x7m5.png
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is it still advised to go down the POPLA route?
Have these companies shot themselves in the foot by using Debt Recovery Plus?
Do these particular PPCs normally push to court?

Thanks all.

Replies

• Debt Recovery Plus are just a company that PPCs use to recover charges. They have no legal standing, they can't take you to court - they're used as a sort of 'fear factor' to push you into coughing up. Don't deal with them or contact them, it will get you nowhere. You need to deal with the original PPCs.

So does this mean that you have ignored the two further parking charges? Weird, as going to POPLA against these would have been a guaranteed win.

You need to start the soft appeal process NOW to get hold of a POPLA code, though it may be too late. I take it you have the original documentation from these two charges, with dates etc?

Does anyone know if these two PPCs have history of progressing to court appearances?
    This is my *anonymous* account on MSE Forums - I post under a different username normally.
  • Aye, assumed that was the case with Debt Recovery Plus (not sure what the "plus" is for in their name. Nice touch.)

I did indeed ignore the original PPCs (I know, contrary to advice and considering I was battling with ParkingEye just a few months ago, but hey ho that's the situation I'm at now).

Funnily enough, they don't actually have my correct address, this post is all going to my mother's address (I'm yet to change the address on my log book), I wonder if this has any grounds or could actually buy me more time if for example I was to send off my log book and if my mother was to send back the post as "not known at this address."

Thanks.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    38.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Does anyone know if these two PPCs have history of progressing to court appearances?

Not in the past 12 months:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/168158/response/413887/attach/3/AFINAL%20REPLY%20TO%20LEWIS%2084035.doc
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • guernica wrote: »
    Aye, assumed that was the case with Debt Recovery Plus (not sure what the "plus" is for in their name. Nice touch.)

I did indeed ignore the original PPCs (I know, contrary to advice and considering I was battling with ParkingEye just a few months ago, but hey ho that's the situation I'm at now).

Funnily enough, they don't actually have my correct address, this post is all going to my mother's address (I'm yet to change the address on my log book), I wonder if this has any grounds or could actually buy me more time if for example I was to send off my log book and if my mother was to send back the post as "not known at this address."

Thanks.

As is stated above these two companies aren't taking people to court to recover losses. Doesn't mean to say that they wouldn't in the future but I guess you're pretty safe by now. I'd still appeal and try and get a POPLA code though if you don't want these on your conscience for the next 6 years...
    This is my *anonymous* account on MSE Forums - I post under a different username normally.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    111.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    guernica wrote: »
    Aye, assumed that was the case with Debt Recovery Plus (not sure what the "plus" is for in their name. Nice touch.)

Thanks.

You do need to update your address with the DVLA or you can get a real penalty!

Did you get a windscreen ticket each time from these chancers? Or was one of these an 'ANPR letter' PCN? Did you keep the letters from the PPCs? If so can you show them here as there may be non-compliance with the Notice to Keeper/postal PCNs which would warrant reporting them to the BPA.

I would just ignore Debt Recovery Plus {<< clicky link to loads of pepipoo threads about these letters} and Zenith letters. This is what we usually advise at this stage because you really are too late to appeal these now. You are just in ignore mode like we used to advise for years:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3829727

Debt collectors are pointless middle-men and can't start a court procedure - and that letter does NOT satisfy pre-court protocol!

Obviously keep all letters for years just in case either PPC tries a court claim later on, and open EVERY letter, do NOT return them unopened or how would you know if ever one of them actually sent a real Letter before Claim, or court papers?!

If the letters get tiresome send a one-liner to the debt collector saying:

'the alleged debt is denied so return the file to the originator and don't contact me again. Any further contact from you would be harassment and a breach of the ICO and OFT rules that debt collectors must abide by.'

Anyway can we see the Notice to Keeper letters (both sides of both) so we can see if there are any grounds for complaint to the BPA to kick these into touch? Cover up the car reg, name/address and PCN number and location.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    You do need to update your address with the DVLA or you can get a real penalty!

Did you get a windscreen ticket each time from these chancers? Or was one of these an 'ANPR letter' PCN? Did you keep the letters from the PPCs? If so can you show them here as there may be non-compliance with the Notice to Keeper/postal PCNs which would warrant reporting them to the BPA.

I would just ignore Debt Recovery Plus {<< clicky link to loads of pepipoo threads about these letters} and Zenith letters. This is what we usually advise at this stage because you really are too late to appeal these now. You are just in ignore mode like we used to advise for years:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3829727

Debt collectors are pointless middle-men and can't start a court procedure - and that letter does NOT satisfy pre-court protocol!

Obviously keep all letters for years just in case either PPC tries a court claim later on, and open EVERY letter, do NOT return them unopened or how would you know if ever one of them actually sent a real Letter before Claim, or court papers?!

If the letters get tiresome send a one-liner to the debt collector saying:

'the alleged debt is denied so return the file to the originator and don't contact me again. Any further contact from you would be harassment and a breach of the ICO and OFT rules that debt collectors must abide by.'

Anyway can we see the Notice to Keeper letters (both sides of both) so we can see if there are any grounds for complaint to the BPA to kick these into touch? Cover up the car reg, name/address and PCN number and location.
    Hi c-m,

No, they are not ANPR car parks. Both occassions were windshield ticketed. One was for not having a permit, the other not having a valid ticket on display.

Yeah I have absolutely no problem with Debt Recovery Plus... let them continue. I have a drawer with about 60+ letters from them pre-Oct 2012 (oh, for the good old days, eh?!).

I am unable to show the letters today, I will scan them in at my earliest opportunity.

Thanks again all. (seriously you guys are the f**king bomb!) :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals